White Lake Sprint 2014
Event #4 of the AAA Car Care North Carolina Triathlon Series
Sunday, April 13, 2014
White Lake, NC
750 Meter Swim
Thursday, April 10, 2014 9:00 AM
VIEW ANOTHER EVENT
4/13/14: Click here for overall results for 2014. Complete results with splits and category results will be posted tonight.
4/10/14: Bib numbers are now posted! Click here to get your race number for the 2014 White Lake Sprint Tri.
We thought we would take a quick trip to White Lake to check on the water temperature. As of right now (noon on April 4th) the current reading is 61 degrees. With the warm weather expected from now until race day, we expect to see that temperature continue to rise! We will update this info again on Thursday evening.
Looking forward to a fun filled weekend at White Lake!
The basic reason that both White Lake races (the Half and the Sprint) have become so popular over the years is the lake itself. White Lake is one of the finest lakes you will ever have the pleasure to swim in – a perfect oval, two miles long and one mile across. The lake which is fed by subterranean springs is crystal clear with a sand bottom – about nine feet deep out in the very middle. Most mornings, White Lake is so perfectly flat; you’d swear you were looking at a sheet of ice. This is an in-water start with participants lining up with the end of the two piers/docks at the NCFFA Center. The swim course is a triangular shaped course. Participants exit the water at the end of the easternmost pier/dock and run about 300 yards to the transition area. Expect the water temp to be in the high 60s to the low 70s. This WILL be a wetsuit legal race. If the water temperature is below 65 degrees this event will become a wetsuit mandatory event.
The bike course is a two-lap course - each lap being 7 miles in length. The course circles White Lake and is very fast. There are only 2 right hand turns on this course, and there are no hills whatsoever.
The 5K run is an out & back course. Runners take a right out of the FFA center onto Hwy 53, down 53. Run behind the Wam Squam onto 701, turn around and back to the FFA Center.
Event Site Rules
Important Run Course Rules:
1) Runners must stay inside the traffic cones along Hwy 53 from the entrance to the NC FFA Center all the way to the run turn around (penalty for running outisde the cones - DISQUALIFICATION)
The White Lake Sprint Triathlon is a USA Triathlon sanctioned race.
All participants must complete the race in under 2 hours - 30 minutes. Race officials reserve the right to pull a participant off the course if it appears as though that participant will not be able to meet the above time requirement.
The minimum age allowed for participating in the White Lake Sprint Triathlon is 10.
The White Lake Sprint Triathlon will be timed using the ChampionChip Tming System.
(5 splits provided)
Dogs are not permitted inside the NC FFA Center property. Anyone with a dog will be asked to remove the dog.
1) Saturday, April 12th (7:00 PM - 8:30 PM)
@ Race Site
North Carolina FFA Center
1247 Hwy 53 East
Elizabethtown, NC 28337
2) Sunday, April 13th (7:00 AM - 8:30 AM)
@ Race Site (NC FFA Center)
Due to the White Lake Half on Saturday, April 12th, packet pick-up for the White Lake Sprint will not begin until 7:00 PM.
Please do not show up prior to 7:00 PM on Saturday.
A photo ID is required for packet pick-up.
Cash or check only!
All participants must pick up their own race packet.
(including all relay team members).
USA Triathlon requires that all USAT annual members must show their USAT membership card at packet pick-up.
Any USAT annual member who does not present his/her valid membership card at packet pick-up, will be required to pay the USAT one-day fee of $12.
Located on the beautiful shores of White Lake, Camp Clearwater is North Carolina's largest family campground. Long considered the nation's safest beach, White Lake's 1,100 acres of crystal-clear water, white sandy bottom and gently sloping shores have made it a popular vacation spot for families from East Coast states, especially North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Florida. At Camp Clearwater you will be able to enjoy White Lake's natural beauty on our 1,300 feet of private white sandy beach or from any of our four piers. We offer a wide variety of sites to suit your Overnight, Seasonal, and Year-Round camping needs. Camp Clearwater also has sites to accommodate your Manufactured Home or Park Model if you are interested in camping with us for many years to come.
NCFFA Center Accommodations:
Reservations can be made beginning November 12th (12:00 AM).
Reservations must be made online.
2 night minimum for all NC FFA Center accommodations
1) Lodge Rooms:
Air-conditioned, private bath, accommodates 3 people. Beds are provided, must bring your own linens.
Cost: $200 for Friday (4/5) and Saturday (4/6). Must reserve for both nights.
($200 is the total cost for both nights - $100 per night)
Screened windows, no air conditioning, accommodates 10 people. Beds are provided - but no linens. Access to FFA Center bathhouse.
Cost: $150 for Friday (4/5) and Saturday (4/6). Must reserve for both nights.
($150 is the total cost for both nights - $75 per night)
Air conditioned - dorms hold 25 people. Beds are provided - but no linens. Access to FFA Center bathhouse.
Cost: $400 for Friday (4/5) and Saturday (4/6). Must reserve for both nights.
($400 is the total cost for both nights - $200 per night)
Refund Policy on FFA Center Accommodations:
A 50% refund will be made on any FFA Center accommodations - no matter when you cancel - even if you need to cancel the day after you make the reservations. Refund request must be received by Monday, March 18, 2014.
No refunds will be offered after Monday, March 18, 2014.
Motels at White Lake:
1) Melwood Court: 910-862-2416 www.melwoodcourt.com
2) Langston's: 910-862-2597 or 910-654-4011
3) Carolyn's: 910-862-5363
4) Sundeck: 910-862-2358
5) Brisson's: 910-862-2495
6) Alpine: 910-862-1444
7) Isley's: 910-862-4030
8) White Lake Holiday Resort: www.whitelakeholidayresort.com
9) Lasley's: 910-862-3473
10) Goldston's Beach: 910-862-4064
11) Crystal Beach: 910-862-3660
White Lake Condos:
1) White Lake Pines Association - Tim Todd, LLC - 3 condos on the lake that sleep 8 people - 910-795-8799
2) Two bedroom / two bath condo - Contact Betty - 910-624-4255
3) Tar Heel Cottages (910)862-3373 www.tarheelcottages.com
Additional Motels/Hotels within 30 miles of White Lake:
Columbus County - Lumberton, NC - www.lumberton-nc.com
1) Clinton, NC: (30 minutes - north)
(see "Driving Directions" - top of this page)
* Days Inn: 910-590-0660
* Comfort Inn: 910-592-8220
* Budget Inn: 910-592-4747
* Ashford Inn: 910-596-0961
2) Whiteville, NC: (30 minutes - south)
* Holiday Motel: 910-642-5162
3) Elizabethtown (10 minutes from White Lake)
* Days Inn: 910-862-7444
4) Six Runs Plantation Bed In Breakfast
* 2794 Register Sutton Rd, Rose Hill, NC 28458 (910) 532-4810
Tent camping is available at Jones Lake State Park which is approx. 10 minutes from White Lake.
Jones Lake State Park is located on Hwy 242 N.
From White Lake - take Hwy 701 towards Elizabethtown. Turn right on Hwy 242 N. - Jones Lake State Park is about 2-3 miles on left.
They do not take reservations.
Campsites are on a first come - first serve basis.
Tent campsites are $20 per night - Maximum of two tents and two cars per campsite.
Call for access times in and out of park in evening and in morning.
RefundsThis event does not issue refunds.
Withdrawals are no longer available for this event.
TransfersThis event does not provide transfers.
This event accepts a one time deferment up to 30 days prior to the event date or until the event has filled.
The deferral event is the 2015 - White Lake Sprint.
The deferral cutoff date was Friday, March 14, 2014 and has passed. No further deferral requests will be accepted for this event.
In the event of inclement weather the following procedures will be followed:
The event will be postponed in hopes the inclement weather will pass. If the inclement weather does not pass in time to complete the event safely in the original or modified format, the event will be cancelled. If the weather passes and the event cannot be held within the permitted time limits, the event will be changed to a duathlon format and possibly modified in length to meet these restrictions.
Every effort will be made to hold this event on time on this date. Should this event be cancelled due to an Act of God or other circumstance beyond the race directors control there will be no refunds, credits, or transfers.
NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy.
By registering for this event you agree to this weather policy.
Purchase Event Photos
Tricycle Studios is the Official Photographer of the NCTS!
Their photographers will be attending this event capturing images throughout the race course.
Athletes will receive a customized email after the race, complete with race stats, and automated links to find your images. You may also go directly to the Tricycle Studios website to review their custom products, and purchase your photos from this and other Set Up Events.
Tricycle Studios | a Bird's Eye View, Inc. Company | 540-358-0001 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Anyone interested in volunteering is asked to fill out the volunteer form.
A race official will be in touch with you the week of the race.
CLICK HERE to view category results
Relay Team Information
- Relays can be 2-person (one person does 2 legs, and one person does 1 leg) or 3-person teams (each person does 1 leg of the event).
- EACH Relay member MUST pick up his/her own packet.
- EACH Member MUST have their photo ID and USAT card (if applicable) to pick up their packet.
- If a member is a minor (17 or under), then a parent/guardian must show an ID to get their packet.
- If a member turns 18 by the end of 2014 they are considered an Adult per USAT, thus they must pick up their own packet.
- If you need to replace a relay member you can e-mail us using the Contact Us button at the top of the page with the changes.
- If it is the week of the event and you need to make a change to a relay member then you can make this change at packet pick up.
- At packet pick up you will be given a sheet of paper that explains how the relays will work (chip hand off, tagging spot, etc.).
- If you are an individual that wishes to switch to a relay team, then you can e-mail us, using the Contact Us button at the top of the page, the following information: Team Name, Team Member Names, Team Member Shirt sizes. You will need to pay the difference to convert to a relay, which you can pay at packet pick up (cash or check only). If it is the week of the event, then you can make these changes at packet pick up.
USAT Rules and Information
Most Commonly Violated USAT Rules:
ALL USAT members must show proof of a current membership at packet pick up. If you have recently renewed a membership, then you MUST print out a temporary card or receipt of payment (that shows length of the membership period) to show at packet pick up. We will not take your word for it that your membership is current; you must SHOW us. Failure to do so will result in having to pay the one-day fee of $12.
CLICK HERE to be taken to the USAT website where you can renew your membership or print out a temporary card. You can also renew your membership at packet pick up if that's easier for you.
If I entered my USAT information when I registered, then why do I need to show my card at packet pick up? USAT rules state that all USAT members must show a valid membership card at packet pick up and failure to do so will result in having to pay the 1-day fee. Our events are sanction by USAT, therefore, we must follow these rules. Our website is not connected to USAT's website, so the information that you enter when you register could be incorrect. We must physically document the current expiration date of your membership when you pick up your packet as this is the only way we can confirm 100% that your membership is in fact current.
USAT's "Age Up" Policy:
An athlete's age for any USAT sanctioned race will be his/her age as of Dec. 31, 2014 . The age he/she is on 12/31 will determine his/her racing age group. If an athlete is due to "age-up" into the next group, it will happen at the beginning of the year, not after the athlete's birthday. This action aligns regular U.S. age group racing with the method used by USA Triathlon for its National Rankings Program and its new Grand Prix Series.
Example: John Smith is 39 and will turn 40 on November 20, 2014.
John will be considered 40 for all 2014 races - and will race in the 40-44 age group at all 2014 races.
Sally Jones is 29 and will turn 30 on July 3, 2014.
Sally will be considered 30 for all 2014 races - and will race in the 30-34 age group at all 2014 races.
This same policy applies to the all race categories in NCTS races (Open, Clydesdale, etc).
Example: Fred Peters is 39 and will turn 40 on August 15, 2014.
Fred has registered to race in the "Open" category.
Since Fred will turn 40 in 2014 and will be considered 40 in all 2014 races, Fred will automatically be switched into the "Masters Open" category.
A participant orientation meeting will be held at 7:30 PM on Saturday, April 12th at the race site (covered pavillion next to lake). We will cover as many details as possible about the race and questions will be encouraged. A representative from USA Triathlon will also be on hand to discuss USAT issues and concerns relative to rules and safety. This meeting should last about 30 minutes - we encourage everyone to attend.
NOTE: There will be NO pre-race instructions given on race morning.
Award Categories & Category Information
Top 3 in each of the following categories
Open (M & F)
Masters Open (M & F)
Age Groups (M & F):15 & Under,16-19,20-24,25-29,30-34,35-39,40-44,
45-49,50-54,55-59,60-64,65-69, 70-74,75-79,80-84, 85+
Clydesdales (Males - 220 Lbs +)
Masters Clydesdales (Males - 220 Lbs +, 40 & Over)
Athenas (Females - 165 Lbs +)
Novice (M & F)
Masters Novice (M & F)
Relay Team (Male, Female, & Mixed)
NCTS rules state that once you compete in a particular race category in an NCTS race - you must remain in that same category for all future NCTS races in that calendar year. The exception to this rule are the Novice and Masters Novice categories. You may begin the year as a Novice or Masters Novice and then switch into another category (ie: age group, clydesdale, etc.)
Below is a brief description of each race category:
Open - Category for Elite participants. These are typically the fastest people in the race and they compete on an Elite/Professional level.
Masters Open - Same as above, but these Elite participants are 40 and over.
Age Group - Participants competing in their age group.
Clydesdale - Category for male participants who are over 220 lbs.
Master Clydesdale - Category for male participants who are over 220 lbs. and are 40 or over.
Athena - Category for women over 165 lbs.
Novice - Category for beginner participants. Participants competing as a Novice have usually done less than 3 events.
Master Novice - Same as Novice but these participants are beginners who are 40 or over.
Male Relay Team - A relay team that consist of all Male members (2 or 3 members).
Female Relay Team - A relay team that consist of all Female members (2 or 3 members).
Mixed Relay Team - A relay team that consist of all Male and/or Female members (2 or 3 members).
NOTE: You may fit into one or more of the above categories, so whichever category you choose to compete in is completely your choice. Choose the category that you feel you would have the most fun competing in.
AAA NCTS Helpful Hints
Here are some helpful information regarding our series and things we do:
- Event Details are always posted the week of the event. This document can be viewed and printed out by clicking on the "Event Details" button on the top, right-hand side of the event page. This button will NOT appear until we post the document. READ this information. 99% of the questions we get at packet pick up are answered in this document, so the more information you read ahead of time, the quicker we can move people through the packet pick up process.
- A pre-event e-mail will be sent out the afternoon AFTER online registration has closed. We wait until we have all the registrations before sending this e-mail because we want to make sure everyone gets the information.
- We always post the Official Participant List with everyone's bib (race) number after online registration has closed, usually by the afternoon after registration closes.
- Get in the habit of checking this Official Participant List for your bib number. If you come to packet pick up with your Photo ID and USAT card (if applicable) out and ready to hand to us, and tell us your race number as you approach the table, packet pick up moves about 5 million times faster. Yes, it makes that much of a difference. If it takes you 5 minutes to find your ID, then that's 5 minutes that the people behind you have to wait.
- Everyone MUST show a photo ID at packet pick up, and you can NOT pick up anyone elses packet. This is a USAT rule that we must follow, so please do not ask and then get frustrated with our staff when the answer is no. We do not keep this information a secret. If you have a friend who is not competing, then you can pick up their shirt and any other swag they may have gotten, but you will not be given their numbers.
- If you get your shirt at packet pick up and are not happy with the size, then you will be able to exchange it BUT not until packet pick up ends event morning. We do this to make sure everyone gets the size they registered for first. Otherwise everyone would go to the same size, then we would run out of that size and the people that actually registered for it would not get it.
- Online registration always closes 3 days (72 hours) before the event. This is a system wide feature. This allows us enough time to begin to get everything prepped that we need to for the event. If there are still spots available after online registration has closed, then we will post this information and you will be able to register for the event at the posted packet pick up times. Any time you register for an event on-site, it is ALWAYS CASH OR CHECK ONLY.
- For pool swims, all participants that register on-site will be seeded amongst each other by 100-yard swim time and will begin after all the pre-registered athletes. We leave a LARGE time gap between the last pre-registered athlete and the first on-site sign up to make sure the pool is clear and no one is swimming over anyone else.
- ALWAYS check your swim time more than 2 weeks before the event. After 2 weeks, the system locks you out so no changes can be made, and there are many times that participants think they have entered an accurate swim time when they actually have not. So just always check it to be safe.
- Double check your race category. Remember events competed in as Novice and Relay do not count towards series points, and remember that the Open category is the ELITE category.
- Relax and have fun!