Virginia Triathlon Series
From the Blue Ridge Mountains to the Chesapeake Bay, the Virginia Triathlon Series offers 18 events from April through October. Our events are extremely well organized, competitive, yet family and novice friendly. VTS courses are fun to race because we design them with you, the athlete, in mind because our entire team consists of triathletes. There is a VTS race near you, there is a VTS race a couple hours away that would make the perfect weekend getaway with the family. With 18 events of varying length and difficulty you can find an event that fits your style and your budget. If you are a veteran VTS athlete, welcome back. If this is your first race with us, congratulations and let us know how we can help. We look forward to seeing all of you at the finish line!
Virginia Triathlon Series
USA Triathlon Sanctioning
- All VTS events are USA Triathlon sanctioned.
- USAT's Most Commonly Violated Rules: If you are new to the sport or are wondering why you got a penalty at your last race, click HERE to read USAT's most commonly violated rules.
- Need to print a USAT membership card? Click HERE.
- Click HERE to learn about series qualification rules.
USAT Age Up Rule
- Click HEREto learn about the USAT age up rule.
USAT Wetsuit Rules
- Click HEREto learn about the MTS Wetsuit usage policy.
Series Weights, Categories and Divisions
Series Scoring and Current Standings
Remember - only the 5 HIGHEST scores in either series (VTS/MTS) are counted together (the new Super Series). There is a column in the standings that is called count. That number is the number of scored events that person has competed in. You must compete in at least 5 events in either series VTS/MTS to qualify for series awards. Also, remember events competed in as Novice or Relay are NOT scored or counted towards series scoring or prizes
2012 Award Winners and Series Qualifiers
Event Scoring Details
- The top five men's finish times will be used to create an average time that all men's finish times will be divided into. The top five women's finish times will be used to create an average time that all women's finish times are divided into.
- All male participants' finish times will be divided into this average male "base" time to create raw scores. (same for females)
Click Here to see an example of how an event is scored
The VTS & MTS have combined series scoring both series count toward one score! Individuals who compete in a minimum of 5 scored events in one category are eligible for series awards (novices & relays are not scored). For any scored event in which one receives a "disqualification" (DQ) or a "did not finish" (DNF) one will receive zero (0) points. In order for an event to count towards ones 5 scored events one must complete the swim portion at minimum.
Click Here to see definitions for each of the event categories offered by Set Up Events
- Top 5 Overall (M & F)
- Top 5 Overall Masters (M & F) - age 40+ only
- Top 5 Age Group (M & F) - 15 & under, 16-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80-84, and 85+
- Top 5 Athena
- Top 5 Clydesdale
- Top 5 Masters Clydesdale
- Top 5 Military (M & F)
2015 Qualifications Rules and Stage Qualifiers!
The Top 5 Overall Men & Women and Top 5 Overall Masters Men & Masters Women in the Super Series will be awarded custom VTS/MTS Cycling Jerseys & Shorts!
Any athlete who participates in a minimum of five (5) 2015 VTS/MTS events will qualify for VTS/MTS Super Series scoring qualifier rewards.
The tiered qualifier system will work as follows:
- Stage 1 Qualifier: Any athlete who participates in a minimum of 3 VTS/MTS events will receive a custom pair of VTS/MTS Super Series Special Socks.
- Stage 2 Qualifier: Any athlete who participates in a minimum of 5 VTS/MTS events will receive a custom VTS/MTS Super Series Qualifier Visor and the Stage 1 Socks.
This is also the minimum number (5) of events needed to QUALIFY for Super Series awards.
- Stage 3 Qualifier: Any athlete who participates in a minimum of 10 VTS/MTS events will receive a custom VTS/MTS Performance Jacket, a Custom Visor, and the Stage 1 Socks.
- Stage 4 Qualifier: Any athlete who participates in a minimum of 15 VTS/MTS events will recieve three (3) free entries into any three 2015 VTS/MTS sprint or international distance events and the Stage 3 custom performance jacket, a Custom Visor, and the Stage 1 Socks.