White Lake Double Sprint Triathlon 2013
Event #7 of the AAA Car Care North Carolina Triathlon Series
Sunday, May 05, 2013
White Lake, NC
375 Meter Swim
Thursday, May 02, 2013 8:00 AM
VIEW ANOTHER EVENT
The Kure Beach Double Sprint moves to White Lake!
After a 15 year run at Kure Beach, this popular F-1 format race moves to the ever popular race venue of White Lake.
If you never did Kure Beach before - this race features short distances coupled with a scrambled event order.
Participants begin the race with a 375 meter swim, followed by a 1.5 mile run. After this first run, participants hop on their bikes for two loops around White Lake (14 miles). After dismounting, it's the second 1.5 mile run, and then competitors finish the race with another 375 meter swim.
Don't be fooled by the short distances. Ask a Kure Beach veteren. This race is a max effort, anaerobic test.
Bringing this popular unique format race to White Lake is a perfect fit. White Lake is known as a flat and fast venue. Of course what makes White Lake famous in the triathlon world is the lake itself. A perfect oval - two miles long - 1 mile across - crystal clear water fed by sub-terraneon springs - sand bottom, 9' deep in the middle - White Lake is simply one of the top swim venues in America.
What a great place to end a race - and the White Lake Double Sprint will give competitors that chance.
Water temperature the first weekend of May is typically in the 75 - 78 degree range. It's has always been "wetsuit questionable" in the past for the White Lake Half and White Lake Sprint (which have both moved to the first weekend in April). The short swim distances in the White Lake Double Sprint will virtually eliminate the use of wetsuits. Participants won't be able to sacrifice the time it would take them to get the wetsuit off after the first swim and then get it back on again before the second swim.
This event benefits Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training.
Event Site Rules
The White Lake Double Sprint Triathlon is a USA Triathlon sanctioned race.
All participants must complete the race in under 2 hours. Race officials reserve the right to pull a participant off the course if it appears as though that participant will not be able to complete the race in under 2 hours.
The minimum age allowed for participating in the White Lake Double Sprint Triathlon is 10.
The White Lake Double Sprint Triathlon will be timed using the ChampionChip Tming System.
(5 splits provided)
Relay teams are NOT allowed at the White Lake Double Sprint Triathlon.
1) Saturday, May 4th (5:00 PM - 7:00 PM)
@ Race Site - 1247 Nc Highway 53 E, Elizabethtown, NC 28337
2) Sunday, May 5th (6:00 AM - 7:30 AM)
@ Race Site - 1247 Nc Highway 53 E, Elizabethtown, NC 28337
Photo ID is required for packet pick-up.
Cash or check only please!
Everyone must pick up their own race packet (including relay team members).
USA Triathlon requires that all USAT annual members must show their USAT membership card at packet pick-up.
Any USAT annual member who does not present his/her valid membership card at packet pick-up, will be required to pay the USAT one-day fee of $12.
Located on the beautiful shores of White Lake, Camp Clearwater is North Carolina's largest family campground. Long considered the nation's safest beach, White Lake's 1,100 acres of crystal-clear water, white sandy bottom and gently sloping shores have made it a popular vacation spot for families from East Coast states, especially North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Florida. At Camp Clearwater you will be able to enjoy White Lake's natural beauty on our 1,300 feet of private white sandy beach or from any of our four piers. We offer a wide variety of sites to suit your Overnight, Seasonal, and Year-Round camping needs. Camp Clearwater also has sites to accommodate your Manufactured Home or Park Model if you are interested in camping with us for many years to come.
NCFFA Center Accommodations:
Reservations can be made beginning November 12th at 12:00 AM.
Reservations must be made online.
All NC FFA Center accommodations are a two-night minimum
1) Lodge Rooms:
Air-conditioned, private bath, accommodates 3 people.
Cost: $200 for Friday (5/3) and Saturday (5/4). Must reserve for both nights. Bring your own sheets and pillowcases (only comforters and pillows provided).
($200 is the total cost for both nights - $100 per night)
Screened windows, no air conditioning, accommodates 10 people. Beds are provided - but no linens. Access to FFA Center bathhouse.
Cost: $200 for Friday (5/3) and Saturday (5/4). Must reserve for both nights.
($200 is the total cost for both nights - $100 per night)
Dorms sleep 25 people. Each dorm is air conditioned, only beds and mattresses are provided. Sleeping bags or linens needed.
Cost: $400 for Friday (5/3) and Saturday (5/4). Must reserve for both nights.
($400 is the total cost for both nights - $200 per night)
Refund Policy on FFA Center Accommodations:
A 50% refund will be made on any FFA Center accommodations - no matter when you cancel - even if you need to cancel the day after you make the reservations. Refund request must be received by Monday, April 22, 2013. No refunds will be offered after Monday, April 22, 2013.
Motels at White Lake:
1) Melwood Court: 910-862-2416
2) Langston's: 910-862-2597 or 910-654-4011
3) Carolyn's: 910-862-5363
4) Sundeck: 910-862-2358
5) Brisson's: 910-862-2495
6) Alpine: 910-862-1444
7) Isley's: 910-862-4030
8) White Lake Holiday Resort: www.whitelakeholidayresort.com
9) Lasley's: 910-862-3473
10) Goldston's Beach: 910-862-4064
11) Crystal Beach: 910-862-3660
White Lake Condos:
1) White Lake Pines Association - Tim Todd, LLC - 3 condos on the lake that sleep 8 people - 910-795-8799
2) Two bedroom / two bath condo - Contact Betty - 910-624-4255
3) Tar Heel Cottages (910)862-3373 www.tarheelcottages.com
Additional Motels/Hotels within 30 miles of White Lake:
Columbus County - Lumberton, NC - www.lumberton-nc.com
1) Clinton, NC: (30 minutes - north)
(see "Driving Directions" - top of this page)
* Days Inn: 910-590-0660
* Comfort Inn: 910-592-8220
* Budget Inn: 910-592-4747
* Ashford Inn: 910-596-0961
2) Whiteville, NC: (30 minutes - south)
* Holiday Motel: 910-642-5162
3) Elizabethtown (10 minutes from White Lake)
* Days Inn: 910-862-7444
4) Six Runs Plantation Bed In Breakfast
* 2794 Register Sutton Rd, Rose Hill, NC 28458 (910) 532-4810
Tent camping is available at Jones Lake State Park which is approx. 10 minutes from White Lake.
Jones Lake State Park is located on Hwy 242 N.
From White Lake - take Hwy 701 towards Elizabethtown. Turn right on Hwy 242 N. - Jones Lake State Park is about 2-3 miles on left.
They do not take reservations.
Campsites are on a first come - first serve basis.
Tent campsites are $20 per night - Maximum of two tents and two cars per campsite.
Call for access times in and out of park in evening and in morning.
Policies and Refunds
This event accepts refunds of 50% of the paid event price up to 14 days prior to the event date or until the event has filled. Event entries are not transferable between persons, events or years. NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy.
The refund cutoff date was Sunday, April 21, 2013 and has passed. No further refunds requests will be accepted for this event.
In the event of inclement the following procedures will be followed:
The event will be postponed until 8:45AM in hopes the inclement weather will pass.
If inclement weather does not pass by 8:45AM , the event will be changed to a duathlon format.
Every effort will be made to have this event on time on this date. Should this event be cancelled due to an Act of God or other circumstance beyond the race directors control there will be no refunds, credits, or transfers.
NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy.
By registering for this event you agree to this weather policy.
Purchase Event Photos
Tricycle Studios is the Official Photographer of the AAA-NCTS!
Their photographers will be attending this event capturing images throughout the race course.
Athletes will receive a customized email after the race, complete with race stats, and automated links to find your images. You may also go directly to the Tricycle Studios website to review their custom products, and purchase your photos from this and other Set Up Events.
Tricycle Studios | a Bird's Eye View, Inc. Company | 540-358-0001 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Anyone interested in volunteering is asked to fill out the volunteer form.
A race official will be in touch with you the week of the race.
A participant orientation meeting will be held at 6:30 PM on Saturday, May 4th at the race site (covered pavillion next to lake). We will cover as many details as possible about the race and questions will be encouraged. This meeting should last about 30 minutes - we encourage everyone to attend.
NOTE: There will be NO pre-race instructions given on race morning.
Relay Team Information
There are NO relays in the White Lake Double Sprint Triathlon.
USAT Rules and Information
Most Commonly Violated USAT Rules:
ALL USAT members must show proof of a current membership at packet pick up. If you have recently renewed a membership, then you MUST print out a temporary card or receipt of payment (that shows length of the membership period) to show at packet pick up. We will not take your word for it that your membership is current; you must SHOW us. Failure to do so will result in having to pay the one-day fee of $12.
CLICK HERE to be taken to the USAT website where you can renew your membership or print out a temporary card. You can also renew your membership at packet pick up if that's easier for you.
USAT's "Age Up" Policy:
An athlete's age for any USAT sanctioned race will be his/her age as of Dec. 31, 2012 . The age he/she is on 12/31 will determine his/her racing age group. If an athlete is due to "age-up" into the next group, it will happen at the beginning of the year, not after the athlete's birthday. This action aligns regular U.S. age group racing with the method used by USA Triathlon for its National Rankings Program and its new Grand Prix Series.
Example: John Smith is 39 and will turn 40 on November 20, 2013
John will be considered 40 for all 2013 races - and will race in the 40-44 age group at all 2013 races.
Sally Jones is 29 and will turn 30 on July 3, 2013.
Sally will be considered 30 for all 2013 races - and will race in the 30-34 age group at all 2013 races.
This same policy applies to the all race categories in NCTS races (Open, Clydesdale, etc).
Example: Fred Peters is 39 and will turn 40 on August 15, 2013.
Fred has registered to race in the "Open" category.
Since Fred will turn 40 in 2013 and will be considered 40 in all 2013 races, Fred will automatically be switched into the "Masters Open" category.
CLICK HERE to view Category Results.
Award Categories & Category Information
Top 3 in each of the following categories
Open (M & F)
Masters Open (M & F)
Age Groups (M & F):15 & Under,16-19,20-24,25-29,30-34,35-39,40-44,
45-49,50-54,55-59,60-64,65-69, 70-74,75-79,80-84, 85+
Clydesdales (Males - 220 Lbs +)
Masters Clydesdales (Males - 220 Lbs +, 40 & Over)
Athenas (Females - 165 Lbs +)
Novice (M & F)
Masters Novice (M & F)
AAA-NCTS rules state that once you compete in a particular race category in an NCTS race - you must remain in that same category for all future AAA-NCTS races in that calendar year. The exception to this rule are the Novice and Masters Novice categories. You may begin the year as a Novice or Masters Novice and then switch into another category (ie: age group, clydesdale, etc.)
Below is a brief description of each race category:
Open - Category for Elite participants. These are typically the fastest people in the race and they compete on an Elite/Professional level.
Masters Open - Same as above, but these Elite participants are 40 and over.
Age Group - Participants competing in their age group.
Clydesdale - Category for male participants who are over 220 lbs.
Master Clydesdale - Category for male participants who are over 220 lbs. and are 40 or over.
Athena - Category for women over 165 lbs.
Novice - Category for beginner participants. Participants competing as a Novice have usually done less than 3 events.
Master Novice - Same as Novice but these participants are beginners who are 40 or over.
NOTE: You may fit into one or more of the above categories, so whichever category you choose to compete in is completely your choice. Choose the category that you feel you would have the most fun competing in.
NCTS rules state that once you compete in a particular race category in an NCTS - you must remain in that same category for all future NCTS races in that calendar year. The exception to this rule are the Novice and Masters Novice categories. You may begin the year as a Novice or Masters Novice and then switch into another category (ie: age group, clydesdale, etc.)
NCTS Helpful Hints
Here are some helpful information regarding our series and things we do:
- Event Details are always posted the week of the event. This document can be viewed and printed out by clicking on the "Event Details" button on the top, right-hand side of the event page. This button will NOT appear until we post the document. READ this information. 99% of the questions we get at packet pick up are answered in this document, so the more information you read ahead of time, the quicker we can move people through the packet pick up process.
- A pre-event e-mail will be sent out the afternoon AFTER online registration has closed. We wait until we have all the registrations before sending this e-mail because we want to make sure everyone gets the information.
- We always post the Official Participant List with everyone's bib (race) number after online registration has closed, usually by the afternoon after registration closes.
- Get in the habit of checking this Official Participant List for your bib number. If you come to packet pick up with your Photo ID and USAT card (if applicable) out and ready to hand to us, and tell us your race number as you approach the table, packet pick up moves about 5 million times faster. Yes, it makes that much of a difference. If it takes you 5 minutes to find your ID, then that's 5 minutes that the people behind you have to wait.
- Everyone MUST show a photo ID at packet pick up, and you can NOT pick up anyone elses packet. This is a USAT rule that we must follow, so please do not ask and then get frustrated with our staff when the answer is no. We do not keep this information a secret. If you have a friend who is not competing, then you can pick up their shirt and any other swag they may have gotten, but you will not be given their numbers.
- If you get your shirt at packet pick up and are not happy with the size, then you will be able to exchange it BUT not until packet pick up ends event morning. We do this to make sure everyone gets the size they registered for first. Otherwise everyone would go to the same size, then we would run out of that size and the people that actually registered for it would not get it.
- Online registration always closes 3 days (72 hours) before the event. This is a system wide feature. This allows us enough time to begin to get everything prepped that we need to for the event. If there are still spots available after online registration has closed, then we will post this information and you will be able to register for the event at the posted packet pick up times. Any time you register for an event on-site, it is ALWAYS CASH OR CHECK ONLY.
- Double check your race category. Remember events competed in as Novice and Relay do not count towards series points, and remember that the Open category is the ELITE category.
- Relax and have fun!