Tri! Ballantyne 2013
Saturday, July 13, 2013
Morrison Family YMCA at Ballantyne, Charlotte, NC
300 yard Swim
Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:00 AM
VIEW ANOTHER EVENT
The Fourth Annual Tri! Ballantyne
Tri! Ballantyne will take place on Saturday, July 13 at 7:00am. Tri! Ballantyne continues to grow each year so sign up early to reserve your spot! Register by June 10 to guarantee your Tri! Ballantyne performance shirt.
NEW THIS YEAR! Stick around after the triathlon for Tri! Fest! Your friends and family can enjoy the festivities while they wait for you to finish the race! We'll have a live band, food vendors, open pool and waterpark, games and more from 9:30am-1:30pm. Kids Tri! Ballantyne starts at 2:00pm. Big fun for the whole family!
(for course maps - click on "Course Maps" button above)
The swim is a 300 yard pool swim in the Morrison Family YMCA outdoor pool. This is a staggered start event where participants start every 15 seconds at one side of the pool and snake their way up and down each lane as they work towards the other side of the pool. Participants are seeded fastest to slowest and must submit an estimated 100 yard swim time when registering. Swim caps are not provided for pool swim events. If you would like to wear a swim cap, please be sure to bring your own.
The bike course is one 12.7 mile loop departing from the front lot of the Morrison Family YMCA and crossing through the Blakeney community in Mecklenburg County and into Union County via Rea Road. The entire bike course will be open to traffic; however, one lane of Rea Road will be coned off for race participants. As you depart from and return to the facility on your bike, be aware that runners will be running out of the same main corridor. Volunteers will direct you to the bike chute leading you back to the transition area. Please take a few minutes before you report to the pool for your swim launch to assess the access points to and from the transition area.
Bike Turn by Turn:
- R on Bryant Farms
- R on Blakeney Heath Rd.
- R on Rea Rd.
- R on Crane Rd.
- R on New Town Rd.
- R on Marvin Rd.
- R on Old Ardrey Kell Rd.
- R on Providence Rd. West
- L on Community House Rd.
- R on Bryant Farms Rd.
- R into YMCA parking lot
The 5K run course takes you out North Community House Road into scenic Highgrove neighborhood. This mostly flat course finishes back at the Morrison Family YMCA where plenty of food and activities await you. After you finish your race, spend time meeting the sponsors and eating refreshing food.
Run Turn by Turn
- L on Bryant Farms Rd.
- L on Community House Rd.
- L on Society St.
- L of Highgrove St.
- Then 1st right (also Highgrove St.)
- First left (also Highgrove St.)
- R onto Forthbridge Lane
- R on Summer Club Rd.
- R on Forthbridge Ln.
- R on Highgrove St.
- R on Society St.
- R on Community House Rd.
- R at the bandshell.
- Run toward the branch entrance to finish!
We've restructured the TA area from last year to allow for quicker access of TA items. Please be patient while your " TA zone" finishes the race. Once participants in your zone of the TA have completed, volunteers will direct you how to safely collect your belongings.
We encourage you to invite your family! Spectators are welcome and must park in one of the overflow parking lots then walk up Bryant Farms Road sidewalk to the spectator access point. Spectators can sit in the Bandshell for a first hand view of their racer finishing or they can mingle at the finish line, sponsor tables or other activities. It's a family event and you will find fun activities for all! The moon bounces are always a favorite for the kids! Please advise your spectators how important it is to 1) not park on the course to unload passengers from their car 2) not cross over the course chutes or block participants on the course at any point 3) do avoid the transition area. Also note that the food vendors are for race participants only.
Participants who park in the main front lot at the Morrison Family YMCA will not be able to leave until the last runner departs the transition area exit chute. For the safety of all participants, this is non-negotiable. We expect this to be approximately 11:30am. Should you need to leave after completion of your race, please park in the over flow parking lot at Hawkridge Elementary instead of the main front lot.
This event benefits Morrison Family & Ballantyne Village YMCA's Community Support Campaign.
The proceeds from the Tri! Ballantyne will support the Morrison Family & Ballantyne Village YMCAs 2013 Community Support Campaign to help meet the need of at-risk and under-resourced families in need of YMCA programs. These funds will help to provide "Out-of-School Time" programs to under-resourced youth at the Steele Creek YMCA in Southeast Charlotte. These programs include Afterschool, Summer Day Camp and other Children's Programs. For more information on how this event supports our community, click here.
Please consider making an additional donation now to support this important cause.
Become an event sponsor to support a great cause and expose your company or product to a large target audience. For more information on sponsorship opportunities, contact Lisa Johnson at 704-716-4645 or Lisa.Johnson@YMCACharlotte.org.
The Fourth Annual Kids Tri Ballantyne
Kids Tri! Ballantyne will take place on Saturday, July 13 at 4:00pm. This event has always sold out and promises to be in high demand again this year. Registration begins November 12th. To learn about the popular youth triathlon training programs contact Lisa Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Event Site Rules
The Tri! Ballantyne Triathlon is a USA Triathlon sanctioned event.
All participants must complete the event in under 2 hours, 30 minutes from the start of the final athlete. Event officials reserve the right to pull a participant off the course if it appears as though that participant will not be able to complete the event in under 2 hours, 30 minutes.
The minimum age allowed for participating in the Tri! Ballantyne Triathlon is 10-years-old.
The Tri! Ballantyne Triathlon will be timed using the ChampionChip Timing System with 5 splits.
1) Friday, July 12 from 4-7 PM
at Morrison Family YMCA
9405 Bryant Farms Rd, Charlotte, NC
2) Saturday, July 13 from 5:15-6:30 AM
at the Morrison Family YMCA
9405 Bryant Farms Rd, Charlotte, NC
For a map, click "Directions" button (top of page)
A photo ID is required for packet pick-up.
All participants must pick up their own race packet.
(including all relay team members).
USA Triathlon requires that all USAT annual members must show their USAT membership card at packet pick-up.
Also, only cash/check are accepted at packet pick-up.
We are pleased to announce that The Courtyard by Marriott Ballantyne has provided a block of rooms for Tri! Ballantyne participants at a special room rate. With its convenient location to the event, less than a 5 minute drive, the Courtyard by Marriott is a perfect place to stay for the weekend!
Reservations should be made no later than Friday, June 28th. After this date, the room block will be released back into the hotel's general inventory. Make your reservation today!
The Courtyard by Marriott Ballantyne
15635 Don Lochman Lane
Charlotte, NC 28277
Former Street Name and Address (may be in older GPS systems).
15660 John J. Delaney Drive
Charlotte, NC 28277
- Check-in: Thu Jul 11, 2013
- Check-out: Sun Jul 14, 2013
- Special rate available until: Fri Jun 28, 2013
COURTYARD CHARLOTTE BALLANTYNE
King Room $94 USD per night
Book King Room at Courtyard Charlotte Ballantyne for $94 USD per night
Queen Room $104 USD per night
Book Queen Room at Courtyard Charlotte Ballantyne for $104 USD per night
Policies and Refunds
50% of your entry fee will be refunded until June 29, 2013. No refunds will be issued for any reason after June 29, 2013.
Entries CANNOT be transferred or deferred to another person, event, or year.
NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy.
By registering for this event you agree to this refund policy.
To request a refund, you must complete the refund request form below.
In the event of inclement the following procedures will be followed:
The event will be postponed until 7:45AM in hopes the inclement weather will pass.
If inclement weather does not pass by 7:45AM , the event will be changed to a duathlon format.
Every effort will be made to have this event on time on this date. Should this event be cancelled due to an Act of God or other circumstance beyond the race directors control there will be no refunds, credits, or transfers.
NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy.
By registering for this event you agree to this weather policy.
Purchase Event Photos
Anyone interested in volunteering is asked to fill out the volunteer form.
A race official will be in touch with you the week of the race.
Click HERE for Category Results.
USAT Rules and Information
Most Commonly Violated USAT Rules:
ALL USAT members must show proof of a current membership at packet pick up. If you have recently renewed a membership, then you MUST print out a temporary card or receipt of payment (that shows length of the membership period) to show at packet pick up. We will not take your word for it that your membership is current; you must SHOW us. Failure to do so will result in having to pay the one-day fee of $12.
CLICK HERE to be taken to the USAT website where you can renew your membership or print out a temporary card. You can also renew your membership at packet pick up if that's easier for you.
USAT's "Age Up" Policy:
An athlete's age for any USAT sanctioned race will be his/her age as of Dec. 31, 2013 . The age he/she is on 12/31 will determine his/her racing age group. If an athlete is due to "age-up" into the next group, it will happen at the beginning of the year, not after the athlete's birthday. This action aligns regular U.S. age group racing with the method used by USA Triathlon for its National Rankings Program and its new Grand Prix Series.
Example: John Smith is 39 and will turn 40 on November 20, 2013.
John will be considered 40 for all 2013 races - and will race in the 40-44 age group at all 2013 races.
Sally Jones is 29 and will turn 30 on July 3, 2013.
Sally will be considered 30 for all 2013 races - and will race in the 30-34 age group at all 2013 races.
Award Categories & Category Information
Top 3 in each of the following categories:
Overall (M & F)
Masters Overall (M & F)
Age Groups (M & F):15 & Under,16-19,20-24,25-29,30-34,35-39,40-44,45-49,50-54,55-59,60-64,65-69, 70-74,75-79,80-84, 85+
Clydesdales (Males - 220 Lbs +)
Masters Clydesdales (Males - 220 Lbs +, 40 & Over)
Athenas (Females - 165 Lbs +)
Relay Team (Mixed and Family)
Below is a brief description of each race category:
Age Group - Participants competing in their age group.
Clydesdale - Category for male participants who are over 220 lbs.
Master Clydesdale - Category for male participants who are over 220 lbs. and are 40 or over.
Athena - Category for women over 165 lbs.
Mixed Relay - Mix of male and female team members. Can also include all female and all male relay team members.
Family Relay - Family relay team. Please note that each Family team must include at least one minor (Ages 10-17) in order to be eligible.
NOTE: You may fit into one or more of the above categories, so whichever category you choose to compete in is completely your choice. Choose the category that you feel you would have the most fun competing in.
All participants must submit a 100 yard swim time for seeding purposes.
Being a pool swim with a staggered start, participants are seeded from fastest to slowest.
It is in your best interest to submit an accurate 100 yard "pace" time for your swim. In other words, don't submit your fastest 100 yard swim time, submit a 100 yard time that represents what you'll do on race day over the event distance.
By seeding yourself properly, you'll end up swimming near people who swim the same pace as you. This will reduce the number of people who you will need to pass or the number of people who will be passing you. Click HERE to learn how to submit and change swim times.
Seeding Order: As with all events we produce, Opens & Master Opens will be seeded first (sorted by 100 yard swim time), followed by Age Groupers/Clydesdales/Master Clydesdales/Athenas/Relays (sorted by swim 100 yard swim time). Any athlete who registers at packet pick-up will be seeded AFTER the last pre-registered athlete begins. We will give a 4-5 minute break between the last pre-registered athlete and the first walk-in registered athlete. This is to allow time for the pool to clear so the fast walk-in registered athletes do not have to swim over anyone. Please remember that the Open/Master Open category is for the Elite participants! If this is your first triathlon, this is NOT the category to compete in. Read category descriptions to find the category that fits you best.
Pool Swim Etiquette:
It is appropriate for a swimmer to yield at the wall and wait to be passed if the person behind them is "on their feet" or "tickling their toes". These issues come about it seems from not properly determining an accurate 100 yard swim time.
Changing Swim Times:
EVERYONE should get in the habit of double checking their swim time. Even if you THINK you entered a correct time, DOUBLE CHECK IT! Every single year, at every single pool swim, there are participants that had "fat fingers" and keyed in an extremely incorrect swim time and end up seeded last. So just double check your time to be sure it is keyed in correctly. And remember this is a 100 yard swim split (not 50!).
Our registration system allows for people to access their registrations and adjust their swim times prior to the race.
NOTE: All swim times must be adjusted no later than Friday June 28, 2013.
After June 28th, participants will no longer be able to make this adjustment on their registration (the system will lock out any changes). Swim times will not be adjusted after that for any reason.
Relay Team Information
- Relays can be 2-person (one person does 2 legs, and one person does 1 leg) or 3-person teams (each person does 1 leg of the event)
- EACH Relay member MUST pick up his/her own packet.
- EACH Member MUST have their photo ID and USAT card (if applicable) to pick up their packet.
- If a member is a minor (17 or under), then a parent/guardian must show an ID to get their packet.
- If a member turns 18 by the end of 2013 they are considered an Adult per USAT, thus they must pick up their own packet.
- If you need to replace a relay member you can e-mail us using the Contact Us button at the top of the page with the changes.
- If it is the week of the event and you need to make a change to a relay member then you can make this change at packet pick up.
- At packet pick up you will be given a sheet of paper that explains how the relays will work (chip hand off, tagging spot, etc.).
- If you are an individual that wishes to switch to a relay team, then you can e-mail us, using the Contact Us button at the top of the page, the following information: Team Name, Team Member Names, Team Member Shirt sizes. You will need to pay the difference to convert to a relay, which you can pay at packet pick up (cash or check only). If it is the week of the event, then you can make these changes at packet pick up.
- If you register as a Family Relay Category, please note that each Family team member must include at least one minor (Ages 10-17) in order to be eligible.
A participant orientation meeting will be held at 5:00 PM on Friday, July 12th at the race site (finish line location). We will cover as many details as possible about the race and questions will be encouraged. A representative from USA Triathlon will also be on hand to discuss USAT issues and concerns relative to rules and safety. This meeting should last about 30 minutes - we encourage everyone to attend.
NOTE: There will be NO pre-race instructions given on race morning.
Here are some helpful information regarding our events and things we do:
- Event Details are always posted the week of the event. This document can be viewed and printed out by clicking on the "Event Details" button on the top, right-hand side of the event page. This button will NOT appear until we post the document. READ this information. 99% of the questions we get at packet pick up are answered in this document, so the more information you read ahead of time, the quicker we can move people through the packet pick up process.
- A pre-event e-mail will be sent out the afternoon AFTER online registration has closed. We wait until we have all the registrations before sending this e-mail because we want to make sure everyone gets the information.
- We always post the Official Participant List with everyone's bib (race) number after online registration has closed, usually by the afternoon after registration closes.
- Get in the habit of checking this Official Participant List for your bib number. If you come to packet pick up with your Photo ID and USAT card (if applicable) out and ready to hand to us, and tell us your race number as you approach the table, packet pick up moves about 5 million times faster. Yes, it makes that much of a difference. If it takes you 5 minutes to find your ID, then that's 5 minutes that the people behind you have to wait.
- Everyone MUST show a photo ID at packet pick up, and you can NOT pick up anyone elses packet. This is a USAT rule that we must follow, so please do not ask and then get frustrated with our staff when the answer is no. We do not keep this information a secret. If you have a friend who is not competing, then you can pick up their shirt and any other swag they may have gotten, but you will not be given their numbers.
- If you get your shirt at packet pick up and are not happy with the size, then you will be able to exchange it BUT not until packet pick up ends event morning. We do this to make sure everyone gets the size they registered for first. Otherwise everyone would go to the same size, then we would run out of that size and the people that actually registered for it would not get it.
- Online registration always closes 3 days (72 hours) before the event. This is a system wide feature. This allows us enough time to begin to get everything prepped that we need to for the event. If there are still spots available after online registration has closed, then we will post this information and you will be able to register for the event at the posted packet pick up times. Any time you register for an event on-site, it is ALWAYS CASH OR CHECK ONLY.
- For pool swims, all participants that register on-site will be seeded amongst each other by 100-yard swim time and will begin after all the pre-registered athletes. We leave a LARGE time gap between the last pre-registered athlete and the first on-site sign up to make sure the pool is clear and no one is swimming over anyone else.
- ALWAYS check your swim time more than 2 weeks before the event. After 2 weeks, the system locks you out so no changes can be made, and there are many times that participants think they have entered an accurate swim time when they actually have not. So just always check it to be safe.
- Double check your race category. Remember events competed in as Novice and Relay do not count towards series points, and remember that the Open category is the ELITE category.
- Relax and have fun!