Lake Norman YMCA Sprint 2014
Event #19 of the AAA Car Care North Carolina Triathlon Series
Saturday, August 23, 2014
750 Meter Swim
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 7:00 AM
VIEW ANOTHER EVENT
8/21/14: Lake Norman water temperature is 89 degrees. No wetsuits allowed.
8/20/14: 2014 bib numbers are now posted! Click here for yours!
8/17/14: Event details (including swim waves) are now posted on this page. See "event details" tab above.
A GREAT EVENT! The Lake Norman YMCA Sprint Triathlon gives everyone motivation to compete against the clock or themselves. Hosted at one of the few YMCAs located on a waterfront and part of the competitive North Carolina Triathlon Series, the event is one of the most popular events on the circuit drawing over 900 athletes from around the Atlantic Coast and Southeast regions.
A GREAT CAUSE! Most importantly, the Lake Norman YMCA Sprint Triathlon gives children and adults the chance to overcome physical disabilities in the Adaptive Water Ski program. In partnership with the Carolinas Healthcare Systems Adaptive Sports and Adventures Program, the program is the only of its kind in North Carolina. Participants not only learn to ski, but learn to face and overcome their challenges. All proceeds from the event support the YMCA Community Support Campaign, enabling the Y to continue helping our adaptive water skiers hold on to hope.
(for course maps - click on "Course Maps" button above)
The 750 meter swim features an in-water start with the water temperature historically being in the low 80's so wetsuits are hardly ever permitted. The rectangular shaped course starts right at the beach at the Lake Norman YMCA with the swim finish located only about 50 yards down the shore from the start location. The water is usually very flat as the course is situated in a protected area of the lake that is sheltered from the wind. Participants will be required to wear a swim cap that designates which wave they are in. We will provide the swim cap for you at packet pick up. The swim waves and start times will be posted in the Event Details which are posted the week of the event.
The bike course is a 17.8 mile loop which begins with a two mile section through downtown Davidson and past Davidson College. The bike course quickly becomes a ride through the rural roads of far north Mecklenburg County. The course is moderately hilly with a couple of decent size hills - though nothing too intimidating.
The run course takes place on the neighborhood roads in the area immediately south of the YMCA property. The one-loop 5K course is also moderately hilly with lots of turns. If the temperatures are high - the run course will be hot - as shade is at a premium.
This event benefits Lake Norman YMCA Community Support Campaign.
Event Site Rules
The Lake Norman YMCA Triathlon is a USA Triathlon sanctioned race.
All participants must complete the race in under 2 hours - 30 minutes. Race officials reserve the right to pull a participant off the course if it appears as though that participant will not be able to complete the race in under 2 hours - 30 minutes.
The minimum age allowed for participating in the Lake Norman YMCA Triathlon is 10.
The Lake Norman YMCA Triathlon will be timed using the ChampionChip Tming System.
(5 splits provided)
1) Friday, August 22rd (1:00 PM - 7:00 PM)
@ Race Site
Lake Norman YMCA
21300 Davidson St.
Cornelius, NC 28031
2) Saturday, August 23th (5:00 AM - 6:30 AM)
@ Race Site
A photo ID is required for packet pick-up.
Cash or check only please.
All participants must pick up their own race packet.
(including all relay team members).
USA Triathlon requires that all USAT annual members must show their USAT membership card at packet pick-up.
Any USAT annual member who does not present his/her valid membership card at packet pick-up, will be required to pay the USAT one-day fee of $12.
19608 Liverpool Parkway
Cornelius, NC 28031
Contact info: Linda Huffman or Brian Clement 704-896-0660
Room Rates: $70.00 for Non Smoking with two queen beds or king (NQQ or NK), Suites for $85.00 call 1-877-900-1055 for reservations
CLICK HERE to make online reservation
Reservation Code: Lake Norman YMCA Triathlon 2014
RefundsThis event does not issue refunds.
Withdrawals are no longer available for this event.
TransfersThis event does not provide transfers.
This event accepts a one time deferment up to 30 days prior to the event date or until the event has filled.
The deferral event is the 2015 - Lake Norman YMCA Sprint.
The deferral cutoff date was Thursday, July 24, 2014 and has passed. No further deferral requests will be accepted for this event.
In the event of inclement weather the following procedures will be followed:
The event will be postponed in hopes the inclement weather will pass. If the inclement weather does not pass in time to complete the event safely in the original or modified format, the event will be cancelled. If the weather passes and the event cannot be held within the permitted time limits, the event will be changed to a duathlon format and possibly modified in length to meet these restrictions.
Every effort will be made to hold this event on time on this date. Should this event be cancelled due to an Act of God or other circumstance beyond the race directors control there will be no refunds, credits, or transfers.
NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy.
By registering for this event you agree to this weather policy.
Purchase Event Photos
Tricycle Studios is the Official Photographer of the AAA NCTS!
Their photographers will be attending this event capturing images throughout the race course.
Athletes will receive a customized email after the race, complete with race stats, and automated links to find your images. You may also go directly to the Tricycle Studios website to review their custom products, and purchase your photos from this and other Set Up Events.
Tricycle Studios | a Bird's Eye View, Inc. Company | 540-358-0001 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Anyone interested in volunteering is asked to fill out the volunteer form.
A race official will be in touch with you the week of the race.
CLICK HERE to view category results.
Relay Team Information
- Relays can be 2-person (one person does 2 legs, and one person does 1 leg) or 3-person teams (each person does 1 leg of the event).
- EACH Relay member MUST pick up his/her own packet.
- EACH Member MUST have their photo ID and USAT card (if applicable) to pick up their packet.
- If a member is a minor (17 or under), then a parent/guardian must show an ID to get their packet.
- If a member turns 18 by the end of 2014 they are considered an Adult per USAT, thus they must pick up their own packet.
- If you need to replace a relay member you can e-mail us using the Contact Us button at the top of the page with the changes.
- If it is the week of the event and you need to make a change to a relay member then you can make this change at packet pick up.
- At packet pick up you will be given a sheet of paper that explains how the relays will work (chip hand off, tagging spot, etc.).
- If you are an individual that wishes to switch to a relay team, then you can e-mail us, using the Contact Us button at the top of the page, the following information: Team Name, Team Member Names, Team Member Shirt sizes. You will need to pay the difference to convert to a relay, which you can pay at packet pick up (cash or check only). If it is the week of the event, then you can make these changes at packet pick up.
USAT Rules and Information
Most Commonly Violated USAT Rules:
ALL USAT members must show proof of a current membership at packet pick up. If you have recently renewed a membership, then you MUST print out a temporary card or receipt of payment (that shows length of the membership period) to show at packet pick up. We will not take your word for it that your membership is current; you must SHOW us. Failure to do so will result in having to pay the one-day fee of $12.
CLICK HERE to be taken to the USAT website where you can renew your membership or print out a temporary card. You can also renew your membership at packet pick up if that's easier for you.
If I entered my USAT information when I registered, then why do I need to show my card at packet pick up? USAT rules state that all USAT members must show a valid membership card at packet pick up and failure to do so will result in having to pay the 1-day fee. Our events are sanction by USAT, therefore, we must follow these rules. Our website is not connected to USAT's website, so the information that you enter when you register could be incorrect. We must physically document the current expiration date of your membership when you pick up your packet as this is the only way we can confirm 100% that your membership is in fact current.
USAT's "Age Up" Policy:
An athlete's age for any USAT sanctioned race will be his/her age as of Dec. 31, 2014. The age he/she is on 12/31 will determine his/her racing age group. If an athlete is due to "age-up" into the next group, it will happen at the beginning of the year, not after the athlete's birthday. This action aligns regular U.S. age group racing with the method used by USA Triathlon for its National Rankings Program and its new Grand Prix Series.
Example: John Smith is 39 and will turn 40 on November 20, 2014.
John will be considered 40 for all 2014 races - and will race in the 40-44 age group at all 2014 races.
Sally Jones is 29 and will turn 30 on July 3, 2014.
Sally will be considered 30 for all 2014 races - and will race in the 30-34 age group at all 2014 races.
This same policy applies to the all race categories in AAA Car Care North Carolina Triathlon Series races (Open, Clydesdale, etc).
Example: Fred Peters is 39 and will turn 40 on August 15, 2014.
Fred has registered to race in the "Open" category.
Since Fred will turn 40 in 2014 and will be considered 40 in all 2014 races, Fred will automatically be switched into the "Masters Open" category.
AAA NCTS Helpful Hints
Here are some helpful information regarding our series and things we do:
- Event Details are always posted the week of the event. This document can be viewed and printed out by clicking on the "Event Details" button on the top, right-hand side of the event page. This button will NOT appear until we post the document. READ this information. 99% of the questions we get at packet pick up are answered in this document, so the more information you read ahead of time, the quicker we can move people through the packet pick up process.
- A pre-event e-mail will be sent out the afternoon AFTER online registration has closed. We wait until we have all the registrations before sending this e-mail because we want to make sure everyone gets the information.
- We always post the Official Participant List with everyone's bib (race) number after online registration has closed, usually by the afternoon after registration closes.
- Get in the habit of checking this Official Participant List for your bib number. If you come to packet pick up with your Photo ID and USAT card (if applicable) out and ready to hand to us, and tell us your race number as you approach the table, packet pick up moves about 5 million times faster. Yes, it makes that much of a difference. If it takes you 5 minutes to find your ID, then that's 5 minutes that the people behind you have to wait.
- Everyone MUST show a photo ID at packet pick up, and you can NOT pick up anyone elses packet. This is a USAT rule that we must follow, so please do not ask and then get frustrated with our staff when the answer is no. We do not keep this information a secret. If you have a friend who is not competing, then you can pick up their shirt and any other swag they may have gotten, but you will not be given their numbers.
- If you get your shirt at packet pick up and are not happy with the size, then you will be able to exchange it BUT not until packet pick up ends event morning. We do this to make sure everyone gets the size they registered for first. Otherwise everyone would go to the same size, then we would run out of that size and the people that actually registered for it would not get it.
- Online registration always closes 3 days (72 hours) before the event. This is a system wide feature. This allows us enough time to begin to get everything prepped that we need to for the event. If there are still spots available after online registration has closed, then we will post this information and you will be able to register for the event at the posted packet pick up times. Any time you register for an event on-site, it is ALWAYS CASH OR CHECK ONLY.
- For pool swims, all participants that register on-site will be seeded amongst each other by 100-yard swim time and will begin after all the pre-registered athletes. We leave a LARGE time gap between the last pre-registered athlete and the first on-site sign up to make sure the pool is clear and no one is swimming over anyone else.
- ALWAYS check your swim time more than 2 weeks before the event. After 2 weeks, the system locks you out so no changes can be made, and there are many times that participants think they have entered an accurate swim time when they actually have not. So just always check it to be safe.
- Double check your race category. Remember events competed in as Novice and Relay do not count towards series points, and remember that the Open category is the ELITE category.
- Relax and have fun!
A participant orientation meeting will be held at 6:00 PM on Friday, August 23rd at the race site (swim start line location - green fencing). We will cover as many details as possible about the race and questions will be encouraged. A representative from USA Triathlon will also be on hand to discuss USAT issues and concerns relative to rules and safety. This meeting should last about 30 minutes - we encourage everyone to attend.
NOTE: There will be NO pre-race instructions given on race morning.
Award Categories & Category Information
Top 3 in each of the following categories
Open (M & F)
Masters Open (M & F)
Age Groups (M & F):15 & Under,16-19,20-24,25-29,30-34,35-39,40-44,45-49,50-54,55-59,60-64,65-69, 70-74,75-79,80-84, 85+
Clydesdales (Males - 220 Lbs +)
Masters Clydesdales (Males - 220 Lbs +, 40 & Over)
Athenas (Females - 165 Lbs +)
Novice (M & F)
Masters Novice (M & F)
Relay Team (Mixed)
AAA Car Care North Carolina Triathlon Series rules state that once you compete in a particular race category in an AAA-NCTS race - you must remain in that same category for all future AAA-NCTS races in that calendar year. The exception to this rule are the Novice, Masters Novice and relay categories. You may begin the year as a Novice or Masters Novice and then switch into another category (ie: age group, clydesdale, etc.)
Below is a brief description of each race category:
Open - Category for Elite participants. These are typically the fastest people in the race and they compete on an Elite/Professional level.
Masters Open - Same as above, but these Elite participants are 40 and over.
Age Group - Participants competing in their age group.
Clydesdale - Category for male participants who are over 220 lbs.
Master Clydesdale - Category for male participants who are over 220 lbs. and are 40 or over.
Athena - Category for women over 165 lbs.
Novice - Category for beginner participants. Participants competing as a Novice have usually done less than 3 events.
Master Novice - Same as Novice but these participants are beginners who are 40 or over.
Mixed Relay Team - A relay team that consist of all Male and/or Female members (2 or 3 members).
NOTE: You may fit into one or more of the above categories, so whichever category you choose to compete in is completely your choice. Choose the category that you feel you would have the most fun competing in.
There is limited parking at the YMCA. Once all spots are filled, everyone else will have to park at one of the designated off site lots.
Click here to view parking map and to find alternate parking.