Wilmington YMCA Sprint 2014
Event #22 of the AAA Car Care North Carolina Triathlon Series
Saturday, September 27, 2014
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Wednesday, September 24, 2014 7:00 AM
VIEW ANOTHER EVENT
The biggest race in the AAA Car Care North Carolina Triathlon Series, and one of the largest single distance, one day event from northern Virginia to Florida (1,100 participants).
(for course maps - click on "Course Maps" button above. Course maps are satellite photos on PDF files and may take an extra few seconds to load.)
This race starts out with a 1,500 meter swim - which is unusual for a sprint distance triathlon. The reason the swim is longer than the normal sprint distance swim is because the swim is a point-to-point swim that always takes place with an incoming tide. Check out the swim times from previous years - the swim actually seems more like 750 meters - 1,000 meters depending on how fast the current is moving. It is important to note that while this swim takes place in salt water - this is not an ocean swim. The swim takes place in a channel system between Wrightsville Beach and the mainland. Numerous busses are used to transport participants from the transition area (and swim finish location) to the swim start location at the Blockade Runner hotel. This is another race that becomes a race day decision for wetsuits - as the water temperature at this time of the year along the southern North Carolina coast is always around 78 degrees.
The course is flat (not a surprise) as the race is at the coast. The one loop course takes participants over the Wrightsville Beach drawbridge and onto the mainland. Participants need to be very careful crossing the metal grading on the drawbridge - don't make any sudden turns or movements (ride carefully!!).
The 5K run course is a one-loop design and also flat. The run takes place on the very popular "loop" at Wrightsville Beach with 90% of the run being on the sidewalk system - the other 10% is on a very quiet side street - used to get the necessary distance
This event benefits Wilmington YMCA.
|Open MaleOpen FemaleMasters Open MaleMasters Open FemaleAge Group MaleAge Group FemaleClydesdaleMaster ClydesdaleAthenaBeach CrusierNovice MaleNovice FemaleNovice Masters MaleNovice Masters Female|
**This pricing is based upon Date
Once a date is reached the price will increase to the next tier
|Male RelayFemale RelayMixed Relay|
**This pricing is based upon Date
Once a date is reached the price will increase to the next tier
Note: On-line Registration for this event closes on 09-24-2014 at 7:00 AM.
There is a $12.00 fee for each non USAT - Adult registrant.
On-site registration is available for this event on 09-26-2014 during normal packet pick up hours.
On-site registration is available for this event on 09-27-2014 during normal packet pick up hours.
Event Site Rules
The Wilmington YMCA Triathlon is a USA Triathlon sanctioned race.
All participants must complete the race in under 2 hours - 30 minutes. Race officials reserve the right to pull a participant off the course if it appears as though that participant will not be able to complete the race in under 2 hours - 30 minutes.
The minimum age allowed for participating in the Wilmington YMCA Triathlon is 10.
The Wilmington YMCA Triathlon will be timed using the ChampionChip Tming System.
(5 splits provided)
1) Friday (9/26) - 12:00 Noon - 7:30 PM @ Two Wheeler Dealer - 4408 Wrightsville Ave, Wilmington, NC (map on race site)
2) Saturday (9/27) - 5:00 AM - 6:00 AM @ Race Site - Wrightsville Beach Town Hall - 321 Causeway Dr., Wrightsville Beach, NC 28480 (map on website)
Blockade Runner Beach Resort
Surf to Sound. Steps from Town. Tri Paradise
275 Waynick Avenue, Wrightsville Beach, NC 28403
Check the web for 2014 Events, Map Links and Special Rates
Select your event, click on the Corporate Rates tab and type in your special code: "Endurance" *Rates throughout the year start at $89 for waterfront accommodations - Special rate of $169 for YMCA Triathlon
TownePlace Suites by Marriott
305 Eastwood Road Wilmington, NC 28403
(910) 332-3326 http://www.towneplacewilmingtonhotel.com
Reservation Code "YMCA Triathlon" One Queen Studio Suite $94-$114/night plus tax
Start Date 9.26, end date 9.28 - Last day to book at this rate is 9.12.2014
RefundsThis event does not issue refunds.
TransfersThis event does not provide transfers.
This event accepts a one time deferment up to 30 days prior to the event date or until the event has filled.
The deferral event is the 2015 - Wilmington YMCA Sprint.
The deferral cutoff date was Thursday, August 28, 2014 and has passed. No further deferral requests will be accepted for this event.
In the event of inclement weather the following procedures will be followed:
The event will be postponed in hopes the inclement weather will pass. If the inclement weather does not pass in time to complete the event safely in the original or modified format, the event will be cancelled. If the weather passes and the event cannot be held within the permitted time limits, the event will be changed to a duathlon format and possibly modified in length to meet these restrictions.
Every effort will be made to hold this event on time on this date. Should this event be cancelled due to an Act of God or other circumstance beyond the race directors control there will be no refunds, credits, or transfers.
NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy.
By registering for this event you agree to this weather policy.
Purchase Event Photos
Tricycle Studios is the Official Photographer of the AAA NCTS!
Their photographers will be attending this event capturing images throughout the race course.
Athletes will receive a customized email after the race, complete with race stats, and automated links to find your images. You may also go directly to the Tricycle Studios website to review their custom products, and purchase your photos from this and other Set Up Events.
Tricycle Studios | a Bird's Eye View, Inc. Company | 540-358-0001 | email@example.com
Anyone interested in volunteering is asked to fill out the volunteer form.
A race official will be in touch with you the week of the race.
CLICK HERE to view category results.
Relay Team Information
- Relays can be 2-person (one person does 2 legs, and one person does 1 leg) or 3-person teams (each person does 1 leg of the event).
- EACH Relay member MUST pick up his/her own packet.
- EACH Member MUST have their photo ID and USAT card (if applicable) to pick up their packet.
- If a member is a minor (17 or under), then a parent/guardian must show an ID to get their packet.
- If a member turns 18 by the end of 2014 they are considered an Adult per USAT, thus they must pick up their own packet.
- If you need to replace a relay member you can e-mail us using the Contact Us button at the top of the page with the changes.
- If it is the week of the event and you need to make a change to a relay member then you can make this change at packet pick up.
- At packet pick up you will be given a sheet of paper that explains how the relays will work (chip hand off, tagging spot, etc.).
- If you are an individual that wishes to switch to a relay team, then you can e-mail us, using the Contact Us button at the top of the page, the following information: Team Name, Team Member Names, Team Member Shirt sizes. You will need to pay the difference to convert to a relay, which you can pay at packet pick up (cash or check only). If it is the week of the event, then you can make these changes at packet pick up.
USAT Rules and Information
Most Commonly Violated USAT Rules:
ALL USAT members must show proof of a current membership at packet pick up. If you have recently renewed a membership, then you MUST print out a temporary card or receipt of payment (that shows length of the membership period) to show at packet pick up. We will not take your word for it that your membership is current; you must SHOW us. Failure to do so will result in having to pay the one-day fee of $12.
CLICK HERE to be taken to the USAT website where you can renew your membership or print out a temporary card. You can also renew your membership at packet pick up if that's easier for you.
If I entered my USAT information when I registered, then why do I need to show my card at packet pick up? USAT rules state that all USAT members must show a valid membership card at packet pick up and failure to do so will result in having to pay the 1-day fee. Our events are sanction by USAT, therefore, we must follow these rules. Our website is not connected to USAT's website, so the information that you enter when you register could be incorrect. We must physically document the current expiration date of your membership when you pick up your packet as this is the only way we can confirm 100% that your membership is in fact current.
USAT's "Age Up" Policy:
An athlete's age for any USAT sanctioned race will be his/her age as of Dec. 31, 2014. The age he/she is on 12/31 will determine his/her racing age group. If an athlete is due to "age-up" into the next group, it will happen at the beginning of the year, not after the athlete's birthday. This action aligns regular U.S. age group racing with the method used by USA Triathlon for its National Rankings Program and its new Grand Prix Series.
Example: John Smith is 39 and will turn 40 on November 20, 2014.
John will be considered 40 for all 2014 races - and will race in the 40-44 age group at all 2014 races.
Sally Jones is 29 and will turn 30 on July 3, 2014.
Sally will be considered 30 for all 2014 races - and will race in the 30-34 age group at all 2014 races.
This same policy applies to the all race categories in AAA Car Care North Carolina Triathlon Series races (Open, Clydesdale, etc).
Example: Fred Peters is 39 and will turn 40 on August 15, 2014.
Fred has registered to race in the "Open" category.
Since Fred will turn 40 in 2014 and will be considered 40 in all 2014 races, Fred will automatically be switched into the "Masters Open" category.
AAA Car Care Helpful Hints
Here are some helpful information regarding our series and things we do:
- Event Details are always posted the week of the event. This document can be viewed and printed out by clicking on the "Event Details" button on the top, right-hand side of the event page. This button will NOT appear until we post the document. READ this information. 99% of the questions we get at packet pick up are answered in this document, so the more information you read ahead of time, the quicker we can move people through the packet pick up process.
- A pre-event e-mail will be sent out the afternoon AFTER online registration has closed. We wait until we have all the registrations before sending this e-mail because we want to make sure everyone gets the information.
- We always post the Official Participant List with everyone's bib (race) number after online registration has closed, usually by the afternoon after registration closes.
- Get in the habit of checking this Official Participant List for your bib number. If you come to packet pick up with your Photo ID and USAT card (if applicable) out and ready to hand to us, and tell us your race number as you approach the table, packet pick up moves about 5 million times faster. Yes, it makes that much of a difference. If it takes you 5 minutes to find your ID, then that's 5 minutes that the people behind you have to wait.
- Everyone MUST show a photo ID at packet pick up, and you can NOT pick up anyone elses packet. This is a USAT rule that we must follow, so please do not ask and then get frustrated with our staff when the answer is no. We do not keep this information a secret. If you have a friend who is not competing, then you can pick up their shirt and any other swag they may have gotten, but you will not be given their numbers.
- If you get your shirt at packet pick up and are not happy with the size, then you will be able to exchange it BUT not until packet pick up ends event morning. We do this to make sure everyone gets the size they registered for first. Otherwise everyone would go to the same size, then we would run out of that size and the people that actually registered for it would not get it.
- Online registration always closes 3 days (72 hours) before the event. This is a system wide feature. This allows us enough time to begin to get everything prepped that we need to for the event. If there are still spots available after online registration has closed, then we will post this information and you will be able to register for the event at the posted packet pick up times. Any time you register for an event on-site, it is ALWAYS CASH OR CHECK ONLY.
- For pool swims, all participants that register on-site will be seeded amongst each other by 100-yard swim time and will begin after all the pre-registered athletes. We leave a LARGE time gap between the last pre-registered athlete and the first on-site sign up to make sure the pool is clear and no one is swimming over anyone else.
- ALWAYS check your swim time more than 2 weeks before the event. After 2 weeks, the system locks you out so no changes can be made, and there are many times that participants think they have entered an accurate swim time when they actually have not. So just always check it to be safe.
- Double check your race category. Remember events competed in as Novice and Relay do not count towards series points, and remember that the Open category is the ELITE category.
- Relax and have fun!
A participant orientation meeting will be held at 6:00 PM on Friday, September 26th at the race site (big tent - near the finish line- green fencing). We will cover as many details as possible about the race and questions will be encouraged. A representative from USA Triathlon will also be on hand to discuss USAT issues and concerns relative to rules and safety. This meeting should last about 30 minutes - we encourage everyone to attend.
NOTE: There will be NO pre-race instructions given on race morning.
Award Categories & Category Information
Top 3 in each of the following categories
Open (M & F)
Masters Open (M & F)
Age Groups (M & F):15 & Under,16-19,20-24,25-29,30-34,35-39,40-44,45-49,50-54,55-59,60-64,65-69, 70-74,75-79,80-84, 85+
Clydesdales (Males - 220 Lbs +)
Masters Clydesdales (Males - 220 Lbs +, 40 & Over)
Athenas (Females - 165 Lbs +)
Novice (M & F)
Masters Novice (M & F)
Beach Cruiser (M & F)
Relay Team (Mixed, Male, Female)
AAA Car Care North Carolina Triathlon Series rules state that once you compete in a particular race category in an AAA-NCTS race - you must remain in that same category for all future AAA Car Care North Carolina Triathlon Series races in that calendar year. The exception to this rule are the Novice, Masters Novice and relay categories. You may begin the year as a Novice or Masters Novice and then switch into another category (ie: age group, clydesdale, etc.)
Below is a brief description of each race category:
Open - Category for Elite participants. These are typically the fastest people in the race and they compete on an Elite/Professional level.
Masters Open - Same as above, but these Elite participants are 40 and over.
Age Group - Participants competing in their age group.
Clydesdale - Category for male participants who are over 220 lbs.
Master Clydesdale - Category for male participants who are over 220 lbs. and are 40 or over.
Athena - Category for women over 165 lbs.
Beach Cruiser - - Category for folks who prefer to just have a good time - 2 inch tires and single speed bikes are required for this category. Multi speed not eligible for awards. If you race in this category you will NOT receive AAA NCTS Points.
Novice - Category for beginner participants. Participants competing as a Novice have usually done less than 3 events.
Master Novice - Same as Novice but these participants are beginners who are 40 or over.
Male Relay Team - A relay team that consist of all Male members (2 or 3 members).
Female Relay Team - A relay team that consist of all Female members (2 or 3 members).
Mixed Relay Team - A relay team that consist of all Male and/or Female members (2 or 3 members).
NOTE: You may fit into one or more of the above categories, so whichever category you choose to compete in is completely your choice. Choose the category that you feel you would have the most fun competing in.