Greenwood Triathlon 2014
Event #9 of the AAA Car Care South Carolina Triathlon Series
Saturday, June 14, 2014
Lake Greenwood State Recreation Area - Ninety Six, SC to Uptown Greenwood, SC
1500 meter Swim
Wednesday, June 11, 2014 7:30 AM
VIEW ANOTHER EVENT
6/11/2014 Greenwood Triathlon - Event Details Posted
Event Details have been posted for the Greenwood Triathlon on the Greenwood Triathlon event page. We will be taking registrations on-site Friday and Saturday during posted packet pick up hours. NOTE - This is a point to point event. If you are registering on event weekend please make sure you read through the event details BEFORE you arrive to Greenwood. The 2014 Bib Number List has been posted here.
11/17/2013 Grenwood Triathlon Google Maps Interactive Map Now Posted
Click HERE to view the interactive map of important locations at the Greenwood Triathlon via Google Maps
On-line Registration has closed. We will be taking registrations on Friday and Saturday during posted packet pick up times. PLEASE read through the event logistics section of this page if you are planning to register on event weekend. THIS IS A POINT TO POINT EVENT.
The Greenwood Triathlon found a much improved event format in 2013 by moving the bike and run finishes into Uptown Greenwood! In an effort to bring Uptown Greenwood into the spotlight of this already awesome event, Set Up Events and Greenwood City Officials have made the decision to transform the Greenwood Triathlon into a double transition, point to point event. Uptown Greenwood is one of South Carolina's best kept secrets - and now our triathletes will get a chance to not only see Uptown Greenwood, but to race in the heart of the Emerald City's Main business district.
The swim begins in the water that is normally on the border-line between wetsuit legal and not. The course is a counter clockwise rectangular loop beginning at the run finish location and ending a few hundred yards away at the transition area. Nothing beats the feeling of walking down the concrete stairs and into the water just before the start of the event.
The bike course now will head out of the park and start athletes on their journey toward the heart of Greenwood. The first 15 or so miles will roll along rural country roads while cutting through Ninety Six, SC. After the rural section of the course, athletes will begin to enter Greenwood City Limits just before encountering the transition area and Uptown Greenwood. Transition 2 will be staged adjacent to the Uptown Greenwood Fountain right next to Main Street.
The run is still an out and back 10k affair - but this time the out and back is run mostly on a closed and paved running path called The Heritage Trail - part of the National Rails to Trails program. 100% of this run is closed to traffic. Aid stations are placed every mile and approximately 80% of the course is shaded. The entire run is on pavement and athletes finish adjacent to the transition area situated right beside Main Street Greenwood.
Post Event, athletes will enjoy the normal festivities while also being able to enjoy Uptown Greenwood's host of restaurants and shops.
We are excited about this change in course and look forward to showing you all Uptown Greenwood has to offer!
Event Site Rules
This event is limited to the first 400 registrations.
The Greenwood Triathlon is a USA Triathlon sanctioned event. All USAT rules will apply.
Cut off Times
All participants must complete the event within 4 hours of the start of the final swim wave. Event officials reserve the right to pull any athlete from the course if it appears he/ she will not complete the event within the posted cut off time.
The minimum age allowed for participating in the Greenwood Triathlon as an individual is 15 years of age.
The Greenwood Triathlon will be timed using the ChampionChip Tming System.
(5 splits provided)
Friday June 13, 2014 (4:00 - 7:00 PM)
Greenwood State Recreation Area (Adjacent to transition area)
302 State Park Road
Ninety Six, SC 29666
Saturday June 14, 2014 (5:15-6:15 AM)
Greenwood State Recreation Area (Adjacent to transition area)
302 State Park Road
Ninety Six, SC 29666
**Body Marking and Timing Chip Pick Up will take place at Transition Area 1 at the Lake. You will collect your timing chip by checking in on a list. You do NOT need your run number to collect your timing chip as it will be at Transition Area 2 Uptown.**
Note: Participants must collect his/ her own event packets. This rule applies to relay team members as well. Photo ID is required in order to collect event materials. NO ID = NO EVENT. ALL USAT annual members must show a valid USAT membership card or pay the one day membership fee ($12)
Baymont Inn and Suites
109 Enterprise Ct
Greenwood, SC 29649
*Mention "Greenwood Triathlon" for rate of $71.10
RefundsThis event does not issue refunds.
Withdrawals are no longer available for this event.
TransfersThis event does not provide transfers.
This event accepts a one time deferment up to 30 days prior to the event date or until the event has filled.
The deferral event is the 2015 - Greenwood Triathlon.
The deferral cutoff date was Thursday, May 15, 2014 and has passed. No further deferral requests will be accepted for this event.
In the event of inclement the following procedures will be followed:
- The event will be postponed until 8:00AM in hopes the inclement weather will pass.
- If inclement weather does not pass at 8:00AM the event will be changed to a duathlon with a time trial start 24 mile Bike, 10 km Run format.
- If a duathlon is not possible the event will be cancelled and a 50% credit will be issued for all registered participants into the 2015 event. No refunds will be issued if the event is cancelled due to inclement weather.
- If the event is cancelled due to inclement weather prior to event weekend a 50% credit will be issued for all registered participants into the 2015 event. No refunds will be issued if the event is cancelled due to inclement weather.
Click HERE to view the possible jobs you may have at this event.
If you are interested in volunteering for this event please fill out the volunteer requet form below.
Age Group / Category Results
Click HERE for Age Group / Category Results.
Thanks for making this event your first triathlon! There are many more people like yourself who will be racing this type of event for the first time. Below are links to information that you will want to review before race weekend.
Race Number & Body Marking
USAT Triathlon Rules
Water Temperature & Wetsuits
Do you still have questions? If so please review these FAQ's. If you still have questions after reviewing this information please click here.
The Greenwood Triathlon is a "point-to-point" event. As such - this event presents participants and organizers with some unique logistical challenges. We have attempted to make this as easy for participants as possible. It will be important that all participants follow these instructions. At packet pick-up, all participants will be given their event numbers (bike frame, helmet and run) along with a swim cap and a plastic bag with drawstrings. You will use the plastic bag at the swim finish transition area.
Participants will have the option of checking their bikes into the Swim Finish transition area on Friday between 4PM - 7PM.
Paid security guards will be on duty from 7PM Friday until 5AM on Saturday morning (when event organizers and volunteers arrive). This is being done to make things a little easier for you in the morning and also to cut down on traffic at the Swim Finish location.
If you choose this option, you'll notice that the bike racks in the swim finish transition area will be numbered in ranges- look for your specific rack. These racks at swim finish (Lake Greenwood State Park) are NOT individually numbered (the bike racks at the uptown T.A. are individually numbered). For the swim finish transition (T1), you may rack your bike anywhere on the rack with your number range. Remember where you are in the transition area - you won't see this spot again until you run up out of the water following the swim.
- On event morning, participants who already picked up their race packets on Friday and checked their bikes into the Swim Finish transition area on Friday, will go directly to the uptown transition area (proceed to paragraph #3);
- On event morning, participants who have NOT picked up their packets will go to the Swim Finish Location. Those participants will pick up their packets and drop off their bikes and all their bike gear at the Swim Finish Transition Area. The bike racks in the transition area will be numbered in ranges- look for your specific rack. These racks at T1 (swim finish) are NOT individually numbered (the bike racks at the downtown T.A. are individually numbered). You may rack your bike anywhere on that rack. Remember where you are in the transition area - you won't see this spot again until you run up out of the water following the swim. Security will be present - so participants should not worry about leaving their bikes and gear. Make sure you leave everything you will need for the Swim-to-Bike transition. Included in this will be your plastic bag - marked with your event number. When you exit the water and get to the transition area - stuff your goggles, swim cap, and all other belongings (including your wetsuit - if applicable) into the bag - and leave it at your spot.
- Participants will then drive their cars to uptown Greenwood (20 minute drive) where the Event Finish is located. Once in uptown, participants will be directed to parking areas close to the finish line. Drop your run gear in the uptown transition area - adjacent to the finish line. Once again, find your numbered bike rack. At the uptown transition area - the bike racks will be individually numbered. Find your specific spot and lay out your run gear. As with the other transition area - make a note of where you are - to eliminate confusion when you come in off the bike.
- At this point you're ready to be transported to the Swim Start location. Buses will be provided to take you out to swim start. Friends and family should NOT board these buses as they are for athletes only. Friends and family are welcome to provide you with your own transportation out to the swim start area.
- When you arrive to the Swim Transition Area at the lake pick up your timing chip and ankle band and get body marked. Both of these items will be located near the transition area.
- When the event is over - your plastic bag from the swim finish transition area will be transported back to the event finish location. This bag will be back to the finish line location before the final competitor finishes the event. This will prevent you from having to go back out to the lake following the event.
The Google Maps interactive map of important event locations may be found HERE
Awards will be given to the Top 3 in each of the following divisions:
- Open (M & F)
- Masters Open (M & F)
- Age Groups (M & F): 15 & Under, 16-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80-84, 85 & Over
- Master Clydesdale
- ParaTriathlete (M & F)
- Novice (M & F)
- Aquabike (M & F)
- Co-Ed Relay (Top 3)
Click HERE to learn more about each of the divisions listed above.