Azalea Sprint 2017
presented by Carolina Sports Medicine
Event #1 of the AAA Car Care North Carolina Triathlon Series
Saturday, March 11, 2017
300 Yard Swim
Wednesday, March 08, 2017 10:00 AM
VIEW ANOTHER EVENT
BE SURE TO READ OVER THE EVENT DETAILS AND FAMILIARIZE YOURSELF WITH THE COURSE MAPS, BOTH LINKED AT THE TOP OF THIS PAGE.
December 15, 2016 : If you have any questions or want a better understanding of the Azalea Sprint Bike course, check out this link for the NCTS Facebook page. The video shows the complete bike course flow.
2017 Entry Fee/T-Shirt Policy: (same policy as 2016)
We are freezing our entry fees after the first of the year. The price you pay on January 1st will be the same price you will pay three days before the event. In order to be able to have this sort of pricing system, we have to implement a t-shirt cut-off date. We must submit our shirt order two weeks prior to the event. Consequently, anyone registering for the event a minimum of 14 days prior to the event will receive a race shirt.
Anyone registering after that t-shirt cut-off date (Saturday, February 25, 2017), will not receive a race shirt.
People not receiving a race shirt will have the option of purchasing a shirt after the race for $10 while supplies last.
The race shirts will contain the race design/artwork on the front and nothing on the back - no logos.
Azalea Course Maps are viewed by pressing the course maps link above.
The swim is a 300 yard pool swim in the UNCW natatorium. Participants start at one side of the pool and snake their way up and down each lane as they work towards the other side of the pool. Being a pool swim race, participants must submit an estimated 100 yard swim time when registering. These times are used for seeding purposes. It is in your best interest to submit a time as accurate as possible. Submitting a time that is too fast for you puts you up with swimmers who will be passing you during the swim - not good for you or them. Putting a time that is too slow places you with slower swimmers and forces you to have to pass everyone. The ideal scenario for all participants is to have people submit accurate times - the whole swim flows better.
Swim caps are not provided for pool swim events. If you would like to wear a swim cap, then be sure to bring your own.
Detailed information describing the swim start plan for this event is posted in the "news" section of this event page.
The bike course is one 9 mile loop. The course is flat and takes place on the UNCW campus and also on the neighborhood roads that surround the UNCW campus. The roads are open to traffic - but traffic is usually fairly light. This is a fast bike course.
The 5K run course meanders through the UNCW campus. The course is totally flat and moderately shaded.
Event Site Rules
Event Capacity : 700
USAT Sanctioned : This event is a USA Triathlon sanctioned event.
Cut-Off Time : All participants must complete the race in under 2 hours, 30 minutes from the start of their swim.
Event officials reserve the right to pull a participant off the course if it appears as though that participant will not be able to complete the race in under 2 hours, 30 minutes.
Minimum Age : The minimum age allowed for participating in this event is 10 years old.
Timing System : This event will be timed using the ChampionChip Timing System. All run turn locations will have timing mats to verify completion of the course.
- Friday, March 10th (4PM - 7:30PM) @ Race Site
- Saturday, March 11th (6AM - 9:30AM) @ Race Site
- Packet pick-up takes place inside Hanover Gym - same building as the natatorium
Race Site Address
UNCW, Hamilton Hall
Hamilton Dr, Wilmington, NC 28403
Important things to remember :
- A photo ID is required for packet pick-up.
- Cash, Check or Credit Card are accepted.
- All participants must pick up their own race packet. (Including all relay team members)
- USA Triathlon requires that all USAT annual members must show their USAT membership card at packet pick-up.
- Any USAT annual member who does not present his/her valid membership card at packet pick-up, will be required to pay the USAT one-day fee of $15. No exceptions.
Participant Meeting :
A participant orientation meeting will be held at 6:00 PM on Friday, March 10th at the race site (finish line location - big black tent). We will cover as many details as possible about the race and questions will be encouraged. A representative from USA Triathlon will also be on hand to discuss USAT issues and concerns relative to rules and safety. This meeting should last about 30 minutes - we encourage everyone to attend.
Host Hotel Resort:
Blockade Runner Beach Resort
Oceanfront. Surf to Sound. Train. Compete. Relax.
275 Waynick Boulevard, Wrightsville Beach, NC 28480
Check the Blockade Runner website for full Event Series and Special Rates
RefundsRefund are not available for this event.
Withdrawals are no longer available for this event.
This event accepts transfer to another event up to 14 days prior to the event date or until the event has filled.
The events eligble for transfer are below.
- 2017 - Pinehurst International plus any difference in registration price.
- 2017 - Carolina Beach Double Sprint plus any difference in registration price.
- 2017 - White Lake Fall Half plus any difference in registration price.
- 2017 - White Lake Fall International plus any difference in registration price.
- 2017 - White Lake Fall Sprint plus any difference in registration price.
- 2017 - Kerr Lake International plus any difference in registration price.
- 2017 - Lake James 50 plus any difference in registration price.
- 2017 - Lake Norman State Park Sprinter plus any difference in registration price.
- 2017 - Sandling Beach 50 plus any difference in registration price.
- 2017 - Lake James Sprinter plus any difference in registration price.
The transfer cutoff date was Saturday, February 25, 2017 and has passed. No further transfer requests will be accepted for this event.
This event accepts a one time deferment up to 30 days prior to the event date or until the event has filled.
The deferral event is the 2018 - Azalea Sprint.
The deferral cutoff date was Thursday, February 09, 2017 and has passed. No further deferral requests will be accepted for this event.
This event has a cut off date for receiving a T-Shirt. The cutoff is 14 day(s) before the event. That time has passed.
In the event of inclement weather the following procedures will be followed:
The event will be postponed in hopes the inclement weather will pass. If the inclement weather does not pass in time to complete the event safely in the original or modified format, the event will be cancelled. If the weather passes and the event cannot be held within the permitted time limits, the event will be changed to a duathlon format and possibly modified in length to meet these restrictions.
Every effort will be made to hold this event on time on this date. Should this event be cancelled due to an Act of God or other circumstance beyond the race directors control there will be no refunds, credits, or transfers.
NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy.
By registering for this event you agree to this weather policy.
Purchase Event Photos
Joe Shrader Photography will be attending this event capturing images throughout the race course.
Athletes will receive a customized email after the race, complete with race stats, and automated links to find your images. You may also go directly to their website to review their custom products, and purchase your photos from this and other Setup Events.
Joe Shrader Photography LLC
Anyone interested in volunteering is asked to fill out the volunteer form. A race official will be in touch with you the week before the race.
CLICK HERE to view category results.
Relay Team Information
- Relays can be comprised of 2-person (one person does 2 legs, and one person does 1 leg) or 3-person teams (each person does 1 leg of the event). Teams can consist of any mix of genders.
- EACH Relay member MUST pick up his/her own packet.
- EACH Member MUST have their photo ID and USAT card (if applicable) to pick up their packet.
- If a member is a minor (17 or under), then a parent/guardian must show an ID to get their packet.
- If a member turns 18 by the end of 2017 they are considered an Adult per USAT, thus they must pick up their own packet.
- If you need to replace a relay member you can e-mail us using the Contact Us button at the top of the page with the changes.
- If it is the week of the event and you need to make a change to a relay member then you can make this change at packet pick up.
- At packet pick up you will be given a sheet of paper that explains how the relays will work (chip hand off, tagging spot, etc.).
- If you are an individual that wishes to switch to a relay team, log into your profile and click on change category next to the event you wish to convert to a relay. It will walk you though the steps to change from an individual to a relay.
Swim Times and Seeding Information
All participants must submit a 100 yard swim time for seeding purposes.
Being a pool swim with a staggered start, participants are seeded from fastest to slowest.
It is in your best interest to submit an accurate 100 yard "pace" time for your 300 yard swim. In other words, don't submit your fastest 100 yard swim time, submit a 100 yard time that represents what you'll do on race day over the 300 yard distance.
By seeding yourself properly, you'll end up swimming near people who swim the same pace as you. This will reduce the number of people who you will need to pass or the number of people who will be passing you. Click HERE to learn how to submit and change swim times.
Seeding Order: As with all pool swim races in the NCTS, Opens will be seeded first (sorted by 100 yard swim time), followed by Age Groupers/Clydesdales/Master Clydesdales/Athenas/Relays/AquaBike (sorted by swim 100 yard swim time), and finally Novices. There will be a 5-6 minute break between the last Age Grouper, etc. and the first swimmer from the Novice category.
Please remember that the Open category is for the Elite participants! If this is your first triathlon, this is NOT the category to compete in. Read category descriptions to find the category that fits you best.
Pool Swim Etiquette: It is appropriate for a swimmer to yield at the wall and wait to be passed if the person behind them is "on their feet" or "tickling their toes". These issues come about it seems from not properly determining an accurate 100 yard swim time.
Changing Swim Times: EVERYONE should get in the habit of double checking their swim time. Even if you THINK you entered a correct time, DOUBLE CHECK IT! Every single year, at every single pool swim, there are participants that had "fat fingers" and keyed in an extremely incorrect swim time and end up seeded last. So just double check your time to be sure it is keyed in correctly. And remember this is a 100 yard swim split (not 50!).
Our registration system allows for people to access their registrations and adjust their swim times prior to the race.
NOTE: All swim times must be adjusted no later than close of registration. Swim times will not be adjusted after that for any reason.
USAT Rules and Information
Most Commonly Violated USAT Rules:
ALL USAT members must show proof of a current membership at packet pick up. If you have recently renewed a membership, then you MUST print out a temporary card or receipt of payment (that shows length of the membership period) to show at packet pick up. We will not take your word for it that your membership is current; you must SHOW us. Failure to do so will result in having to pay the one-day fee of $15.
CLICK HERE to be taken to the USAT website where you can renew your membership or print out a temporary card. You can also renew your membership at packet pick up if that's easier for you.
If I entered my USAT information when I registered, then why do I need to show my card at packet pick up? USAT rules state that all USAT members must show a valid membership card at packet pick up and failure to do so will result in having to pay the 1-day fee. Our events are sanction by USAT, therefore, we must follow these rules. Our website is not connected to USAT's website, so the information that you enter when you register could be incorrect. We must physically document the current expiration date of your membership when you pick up your packet as this is the only way we can confirm 100% that your membership is in fact current.
USAT's "Age Up" Policy:
An athlete's age for any USAT sanctioned race will be his/her age as of Dec. 31, 2017. The age he/she is on 12/31 will determine his/her racing age group. If an athlete is due to "age-up" into the next group, it will happen at the beginning of the year, not after the athlete's birthday. This action aligns regular U.S. age group racing with the method used by USA Triathlon for its National Rankings Program and its new Grand Prix Series.
- John Smith is 39 and will turn 40 on November 20, 2017. John will be considered 40 for all 2017 races - and will race in the 40-44 age group at all 2017 races.
- Sally Jones is 29 and will turn 30 on July 3, 2017. Sally will be considered 30 for all 2017 races - and will race in the 30-34 age group at all 2017 races.
- Fred Peters is 39 and will turn 40 on August 15, 2017. Since Fred will turn 40 in 2017 and will be considered 40 in all 2017 races and wants to register ion the "open" class, Fred will only be able to register in "Masters Open" category.
- This same policy applies to the all race master race categories in AAA NCTS. (Open Male and Female, Clydesdale, Master Clydesdales).
Award Categories & Category Information
Top 3 in each of the following categories
Open (M & F)
Age Groups (M & F):15 & Under,16-19,20-24,25-29,30-34,35-39,40-44,45-49,50-54,55-59,60-64,65-69,70+
Clydesdales (Males - 220 Lbs +)
Masters Clydesdales (Males - 220 Lbs +, 40 & Over)
Athenas (Females - 165 Lbs +)
Aquabike (M & F)
Novice (M & F)
Relay Teams (1 category only)
AAA NCTS rules state that once you compete in a particular race category in an AAA NCTS race - you must remain in that same category for all future AAA NCTS races in that calendar year. The exceptions to this rule are the Aquabike, Novice and Weight categories. You may begin the year as a Novice and then switch into another qulifying category (ie: Age Group, Clydesdale). For Weight categories (Clydesdale 220+, Master Clydesdale 220+ and Athena 165+) it allows for you to drop to Age Group if you go below the weight limit for the category. If you switch to Aquabike you can switch back to your previous category at any time without penalty.
Below is a brief description of each race category:
Open - Category for Elite participants. These are typically the fastest people in the race and they compete on an Elite/Professional level.
Age Group - Participants competing in their age group.
Clydesdale - Category for participants who are over 220 lbs.
Master Clydesdale - Category for participants who are over 220 lbs. and are 40 or over.
Athena - Category for women over 165 lbs.
Aquabike - Category for participants doing the Swim and the Bike only. Your race ends when you cross the Bike Finish mat.
Novice - Category for beginner participants. Participants competing as a Novice have usually done less than 3 events. No age restrictions.
NOTE: You may fit into one or more of the above categories, so whichever category you choose to compete in is completely your choice. Choose the category that you feel you would have the most fun competing in.
AAA NCTS Helpful Hints
- Event Details are always posted the week of the event. This document can be viewed and printed out by clicking on the "Event Details" button on the top, right-hand side of the event page. This button will NOT appear until we post the document. READ this information. 99% of the questions we get at packet pick up are answered in this document, so the more information you read ahead of time, the quicker we can move people through the packet pick up process.
- A pre-event e-mail will be sent out a few days prior to the event. We wait until we have all the registrations before sending this e-mail because we want to make sure everyone gets the information.
- We always post the Official Participant List with everyone's bib (race) number after online registration has closed, usually by the afternoon after registration closes.
- Get in the habit of checking this Official Participant List for your bib number. If you come to packet pick up with your Photo ID and USAT card (if applicable) out and ready to hand to us, and tell us your race number as you approach the table, the packet pick-up process will move faster.
- Everyone MUST show a photo ID at packet pick up, and you can NOT pick up anyone elses packet. This is a USAT rule.
- If you get your shirt at packet pick up and are not happy with the size, you can exchange it immediately after the race.
- Online registration closes 3 days before the event (usually by 10am). This allows us enough time to begin to get everything prepped that we need to for the event. If there are still spots available after online registration has closed, then we will post this information and you will be able to register for the event at the posted packet pick up times. We always accept cash or check and if we have internet connectivity we will accept credit cards.
- For pool swims, all participants who register on-site will be seeded after all the pre-registered athletes. We leave a LARGE time gap between the last pre-registered athlete and the first on-site sign up to make sure the pool is clear and no one is swimming over anyone else.
- For a pool swim ALWAYS check your swim time more than 2 weeks before the event.
- Double check your race category. Remember events competed in as Novice and Relay do not count towards series points, and remember that the Open category is the ELITE category.
- If you're in the wrong race category, you can make that change at packet pick-up.