Lake Lure Sprint 2017
Event #17 of the AAA Car Care North Carolina Triathlon Series
Saturday, August 12, 2017
Lake Lure, NC
Wednesday, August 09, 2017 10:00 AM
VIEW ANOTHER EVENT
Heralded as one of “America’s Best Lakes” by USA TODAY, Lake Lure, North Carolina is home to the Lake Lure Olympiad Sports Festival. Year after year, athletes rave about the area’s scenic beauty, delicious finish line food, and countless welcoming volunteers that all make the Olympiad experience truly special and unique.
The grand mountain setting serves as both a place to compete and a fun summer getaway spot
Bring your kids and let them earn medals, too. The Lake Lure Olympiad offers many events for kids ages 4-14 including: 40-yard dash, soccer kicks, obstacle course, baseball throw, basketball toss and standing broad jump.
Celebrating its 13th year, the Lake Lure Olympiad is a nonprofit organization that has given back more than $250,000 to community charities. Hosted by Rumbling Bald Resort on Lake Lure and Chimney Rock State Park, with support from Rutherford Regional Health System, the races AND the views will take your breath away.
Learn more at www.LakeLureOlympiad.com or visit us on Facebook.
The Lake Lure Triathlon begins on the sandy beach at Rumbling Bald Resort with a 750-meter swim in the glassy, warm waters of Lake Lure, curves around a buoy and finishes right at the transition area, which is within 50 feet of the lake. Just to sweeten the deal, the lift scene from the movie "Dirty Dancing" was filmed on this lake!
Just keep focusing on those mountain views as you push through the 22.3K bike course through the countryside at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains, finishing back at the same transition area.
The steady, but uphill 5K run carries you into a beautiful valley paralleling Bald Mountain Golf Course and back down with a gentle cruise to the beachside Finish Line!
|Open MaleOpen FemaleAge Group MaleAge Group FemaleClydesdaleMaster ClydesdaleAthenaNovice MaleNovice Female|
**This pricing is based upon Date
Once a date is reached the price will increase to the next tier
**This pricing is based upon Date
Once a date is reached the price will increase to the next tier
Note: On-line Registration for this event closes on 08-09-2017 at 10:00 AM.
There is a $15.00 fee for each non USAT - Adult registrant.
On-site registration is available for this event on 08-11-2017 during normal packet pick up hours.
On-site registration is available for this event on 08-12-2017 during normal packet pick up hours.
Event Site Rules
Event Capacity : 350
USAT Sanctioned : This event is a USA Triathlon sanctioned race.
- Participants must finish the entire race under 2 hours - 30' from the start of the event.
- Race officials reserve the right to pull a participant off the course if it appears as though that participant will not be able to meet the above time requirements.
- This is a safety issue, our permits, water safety, volunteers, police, ems, etc are only reserved for the above time restrictions.
Minimum Age : The minimum age allowed for participating in this event is 10 years old.
Timing System : This event is timed using the ChampionChip Timing System. All run turn locations will have timing mats to verify completion of the course.
- Friday, August 11th (5:00 PM - 7:00 PM) @ Race Site
- Saturday, August 12th (6:00 AM - 7:30 AM) @ Race Site
Race Site Address :
Rumbling Bald Resort
112 Mountains Boulevard
Lake Lure 28746
Important things to remember :
- A photo ID is required for packet pick-up.
- Cash, Check. NO credit cards due to limited internet availability.
- All participants must pick up their own race packet. (Including all relay team members)
- USA Triathlon requires that all USAT annual members must show their USAT membership card at packet pick-up.
- Any USAT annual member who does not present his/her valid membership card at packet pick-up, will be required to pay the USAT one-day fee of $15. No exceptions.
A participant orientation meeting will be held at 6:00 PM on Friday, August 11th and the pavilion. We will cover as many details as possible about the race and questions will be encouraged. A representative from USA Triathlon will also be on hand to discuss USAT issues and concerns relative to rules and safety. This meeting should last about 30 minutes - we encourage everyone to attend.
The Lake Lure Olympiad is proud to partner with Rumbling Bald Resort as the venue of most of events as well as discounted rates for lodging. Athletes and their families can stay in affordable luxury at Rumbling Bald Resort at Lake Lure, a picturesque mountain resort complete with beachfront, two restaurants, championship golf courses, indoor and outdoor pools, lighted tennis courts, spa, paddle board/kayak rentals, narrated lake cruises and more. “Dirty Dancing” fans relish in visiting Bald Mountain Golf Course, the location of the scene where Baby asks her father for money in the movie. Visit www.RumblingBald.com for lodging information and special rates.
RefundsRefund are not available for this event.
Withdrawals will be available after Thursday, July 13, 2017.
TransfersThis event does not provide transfers.
This event accepts a one time deferment up to 30 days prior to the event date or until the event has filled.
The deferral event is the 2018 - Lake Lure Sprint.
The deferral cutoff date is Thursday, July 13, 2017 or in 140 day(s) from today .
In the event of inclement weather the following procedures will be followed:
The event will be postponed in hopes the inclement weather will pass. If the inclement weather does not pass in time to complete the event safely in the original or modified format, the event will be cancelled. If the weather passes and the event cannot be held within the permitted time limits, the event will be changed to a duathlon format and possibly modified in length to meet these restrictions.
Every effort will be made to hold this event on time on this date. Should this event be cancelled due to an Act of God or other circumstance beyond the race directors control there will be no refunds, credits, or transfers.
NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy.
By registering for this event you agree to this weather policy.
Anyone interested in volunteering is asked to fill out the volunteer form. A race official will be in touch with you the week before the race.
CLICK HERE to view category results.
Relay Team Information
- Relays can be comprised of 2-person (one person does 2 legs, and one person does 1 leg) or 3-person teams (each person does 1 leg of the event). Teams can consist of any mix of genders.
- EACH Relay member MUST pick up his/her own packet.
- EACH Member MUST have their photo ID and USAT card (if applicable) to pick up their packet.
- If a member is a minor (17 or under), then a parent/guardian must show an ID to get their packet.
- If a member turns 18 by the end of 2017 they are considered an Adult per USAT, thus they must pick up their own packet.
- If you need to replace a relay member you can e-mail us using the Contact Us button at the top of the page with the changes.
- If it is the week of the event and you need to make a change to a relay member then you can make this change at packet pick up.
- At packet pick up you will be given a sheet of paper that explains how the relays will work (chip hand off, tagging spot, etc.).
- If you are an individual that wishes to switch to a relay team, log into your profile and click on change category next to the event you wish to convert to a relay. It will walk you though the steps to change from an individual to a relay.
USAT Rules and Information
Most Commonly Violated USAT Rules:
ALL USAT members must show proof of a current membership at packet pick up. If you have recently renewed a membership, then you MUST print out a temporary card or receipt of payment (that shows length of the membership period) to show at packet pick up. We will not take your word for it that your membership is current; you must SHOW us. Failure to do so will result in having to pay the one-day fee of $15.
CLICK HERE to be taken to the USAT website where you can renew your membership or print out a temporary card. You can also renew your membership at packet pick up if that's easier for you.
If I entered my USAT information when I registered, then why do I need to show my card at packet pick up? USAT rules state that all USAT members must show a valid membership card at packet pick up and failure to do so will result in having to pay the 1-day fee. Our events are sanction by USAT, therefore, we must follow these rules. Our website is not connected to USAT's website, so the information that you enter when you register could be incorrect. We must physically document the current expiration date of your membership when you pick up your packet as this is the only way we can confirm 100% that your membership is in fact current.
USAT's "Age Up" Policy:
An athlete's age for any USAT sanctioned race will be his/her age as of Dec. 31, 2015. The age he/she is on 12/31 will determine his/her racing age group. If an athlete is due to "age-up" into the next group, it will happen at the beginning of the year, not after the athlete's birthday. This action aligns regular U.S. age group racing with the method used by USA Triathlon for its National Rankings Program and its new Grand Prix Series.
- John Smith is 39 and will turn 40 on November 20, 2017. John will be considered 40 for all 2017 races - and will race in the 40-44 age group at all 2017 races.
- Sally Jones is 29 and will turn 30 on July 3, 2017. Sally will be considered 30 for all 2017 races - and will race in the 30-34 age group at all 2017 races.
- Fred Peters is 39 and will turn 40 on August 15, 2017. Since Fred will turn 40 in 2017 and will be considered 40 in all 2017 races and wants to register ion the "open" class, Fred will only be able to register in "Masters Open" category.
- This same policy applies to the all race master race categories in AAA NCTS. (Open Male and Female, Clydesdale, Master Clydesdales).
Award Categories & Category Information
Top 3 in each of the following categories
Open (M & F)
Age Groups (M & F):15 & Under,16-19,20-24,25-29,30-34,35-39,40-44,45-49,50-54,55-59,60-64,65-69,70+
Clydesdales (Males - 220 Lbs +)
Masters Clydesdales (Males - 220 Lbs +, 40 & Over)
Athenas (Females - 165 Lbs +)
Novice (M & F)
Relay Teams (1 category only)
AAA NCTS rules state that once you compete in a particular race category in an AAA NCTS race - you must remain in that same category for all future AAA NCTS races in that calendar year. The exceptions to this rule are the Aquabike, Novice and Weight categories. You may begin the year as a Novice and then switch into another qulifying category (ie: Age Group, Clydesdale). For Weight categories (Clydesdale 220+, Master Clydesdale 220+ and Athena 165+) it allows for you to drop to Age Group if you go below the weight limit for the category. If you swithch to Aquabike you can switch back to your previous category at any time without penalty.
Below is a brief description of each race category:
Open - Category for Elite participants. These are typically the fastest people in the race and they compete on an Elite/Professional level.
Age Group - Participants competing in their age group.
Clydesdale - Category for participants who are over 220 lbs.
Master Clydesdale - Category for participants who are over 220 lbs. and are 40 or over.
Athena - Category for women over 165 lbs.
Novice - Category for beginner participants. Participants competing as a Novice have usually done less than 3 events. No age restrictions.
NOTE: You may fit into one or more of the above categories, so whichever category you choose to compete in is completely your choice. Choose the category that you feel you would have the most fun competing in.
AAA NCTS Helpful Hints
- Event Details are always posted the week of the event. This document can be viewed and printed out by clicking on the "Event Details" button on the top, right-hand side of the event page. This button will NOT appear until we post the document. READ this information. 99% of the questions we get at packet pick up are answered in this document, so the more information you read ahead of time, the quicker we can move people through the packet pick up process.
- A pre-event e-mail will be sent out a few days prior to the event. We wait until we have all the registrations before sending this e-mail because we want to make sure everyone gets the information.
- We always post the Official Participant List with everyone's bib (race) number after online registration has closed, usually by the afternoon after registration closes.
- Get in the habit of checking this Official Participant List for your bib number. If you come to packet pick up with your Photo ID and USAT card (if applicable) out and ready to hand to us, and tell us your race number as you approach the table, the packet pick-up process will move faster.
- Everyone MUST show a photo ID at packet pick up, and you can NOT pick up anyone elses packet. This is a USAT rule.
- If you get your shirt at packet pick up and are not happy with the size, you can exchange it immediately after the race.
- Online registration closes 3 days before the event (usually by 10am). This allows us enough time to begin to get everything prepped that we need to for the event. If there are still spots available after online registration has closed, then we will post this information and you will be able to register for the event at the posted packet pick up times. We always accept cash or check and if we have internet connectivity we will accept credit cards.
- For pool swims, all participants who register on-site will be seeded after all the pre-registered athletes. We leave a LARGE time gap between the last pre-registered athlete and the first on-site sign up to make sure the pool is clear and no one is swimming over anyone else.
- For a pool swim ALWAYS check your swim time more than 2 weeks before the event.
- Double check your race category. Remember events competed in as Novice and Relay do not count towards series points, and remember that the Open category is the ELITE category.
- If you're in the wrong race category, you can make that change at packet pick-up.