TOUGHMAN South Carolina 2017
Event #14 of the AAA Car Care South Carolina Triathlon Series
Saturday, September 30, 2017
Lake Greenwood State Park to Uptown Greenwood, SC
1.2 mile Swim
Wednesday, September 27, 2017 8:00 AM
VIEW ANOTHER EVENT
PLEASE read through the event logistics description BEFORE YOU REGISTER so you are clear on how this event works. IT IS A POINT TO POINT EVENT with the start line and finish lines being in different locations.
TOUGHMAN South Carolina will feature a wetsuit legal lake swim and a point to point bike with the bike and run finishes into Uptown Greenwood! Uptown Greenwood is one of South Carolina's best kept secrets - and now our triathletes will get a chance to not only see Uptown Greenwood, but to race in the heart of the Emerald City's Main business district.
The swim begins in the water that will be wetsuit legal. The course is a clockwise rectangular loop. Athletes will start at the boat ramp and finish by climbing out on the stone staircase just below the Drummond Center.
The bike course now will head out of the park and start athletes on their journey toward the heart of Greenwood. The first 40 or so miles will roll along rural country roads while cutting through Saluda, SC. After the rural section of the course, athletes will begin to enter Greenwood City Limits just before encountering the transition area and Uptown Greenwood. Transition 2 will be staged adjacent to the Uptown Greenwood Fountain right next to Main Street.
The run is an out and back 2-loop affair where the run mostly on a closed and paved running path called The Heritage Trail - part of the National Rails to Trails program. 100% of this run is closed to traffic. Aid stations are placed every mile and approximately 80% of the course is shaded. The entire run is on pavement and athletes finish adjacent to the transition area situated right beside Main Street Greenwood.
Post Event, athletes will enjoy the normal festivities while also being able to enjoy Uptown Greenwood's host of restaurants and shops.
For more details, you can review this event page or the TOUGHMAN South Carolina event website here.
Note: On-line Registration for this event closes on 09-27-2017 at 8:00 AM.
There is a $15.00 fee for each non USAT - Adult registrant.
On-site registration is available for this event on 09-29-2017 during normal packet pick up hours.
On-site registration is available for this event on 09-30-2017 during normal packet pick up hours.
Event Site Rules
This event is limited to the first 400 registrations.
Toughman South Carolina is a USA Triathlon sanctioned event. All USAT rules will apply.
Cut off Times
All participants must complete the event within 8 hours of the start of the final swim wave. Event officials reserve the right to pull any athlete from the course if it appears he/ she will not complete the event within the posted cut off time.
The minimum age allowed for participating in TOUGHMAN South Carolina as an individual is 15 years of age. Exceptions will be made based on parent/guardian request.
TOUGHMAN South Carolina will be timed using the ChampionChip Tming System.
(5 splits provided)
Visit the TOUGHMAN South Carolina event website for full details
Visit the TOUGHMAN South Carolina event website for full details
RefundsRefund are not available for this event.
TransfersThis event does not provide transfers.
DeferralsThis event does not allow deferrals.
In the event of inclement the following procedures will be followed:
- The event will be postponed until 8:30AM in hopes the inclement weather will pass.
- If inclement weather does not pass at 8:30AM the event will be changed to a duathlon with a time trial start 56 mile Bike, 13.1 mile Run format.
- If a duathlon is not possible the event will be cancelled and a 50% credit will be issued for all registered participants into the 2018 event. No refunds will be issued if the event is cancelled due to inclement weather.
- If the event is cancelled due to inclement weather prior to event weekend a 50% credit will be issued for all registered participants into the 2018 event. No refunds will be issued if the event is cancelled due to inclement weather.
Purchase Event Photos
Joe Shrader Photography will be attending this event capturing images throughout the race course.
Athletes will receive a customized email after the race, complete with race stats, and automated links to find your images. You may also go directly to their website to review their custom products, and purchase your photos from this and other Setup Events.
Joe Shrader Photography LLC
Click HERE to view the possible jobs you may have at this event.
If you are interested in volunteering for this event please fill out the volunteer requet form below.
Age Group & Category Results
Click HERE for age group & category results
Thanks for making this event your first triathlon! There are many more people like yourself who will be racing this type of event for the first time. Below are links to information that you will want to review before race weekend.
Race Number & Body Marking
USAT Triathlon Rules
Water Temperature & Wetsuits
Do you still have questions? If so please review these FAQ's. If you still have questions after reviewing this information please click here.
TOUGHMAN South Carolina is a "point-to-point" event. As such - this event presents participants and organizers with some unique logistical challenges. We have attempted to make this as easy for participants as possible. It will be important that all participants follow these instructions. At packet pick-up, all participants will be given their event numbers (bike frame, helmet and run) along with a swim cap and a plastic bag with drawstrings. You will use the plastic bag at the swim finish transition area.
Participants will have the option of checking their bikes into the Swim Finish transition area on Friday between 3PM - 7PM.
Paid security guards will be on duty from 7PM Friday until 6AM on Saturday morning (when event organizers and volunteers arrive). This is being done to make things a little easier for you in the morning and also to cut down on traffic at the Swim Finish location.
If you choose this option, you'll notice that the bike racks in the swim finish transition area will be numbered in ranges- look for your specific rack. These racks at swim finish (Lake Greenwood State Park) are NOT individually numbered (the bike racks at the uptown T.A. are individually numbered). For the swim finish transition (T1), you may rack your bike anywhere on the rack with your number range. Remember where you are in the transition area - you won't see this spot again until you run up out of the water following the swim.
- On event morning, participants who already picked up their race packets on Friday and checked their bikes into the Swim Finish transition area on Friday, will go directly to the uptown transition area (proceed to paragraph #3);
- On event morning, participants who have NOT picked up their packets will go to the Swim Finish Location. Those participants will pick up their packets and drop off their bikes and all their bike gear at the Swim Finish Transition Area. The bike racks in the transition area will be numbered in ranges- look for your specific rack. These racks at T1 (swim finish) are NOT individually numbered (the bike racks at the downtown T.A. are individually numbered). You may rack your bike anywhere on that rack. Remember where you are in the transition area - you won't see this spot again until you run up out of the water following the swim. Security will be present - so participants should not worry about leaving their bikes and gear. Make sure you leave everything you will need for the Swim-to-Bike transition. Included in this will be your plastic bag - marked with your event number. When you exit the water and get to the transition area - stuff your goggles, swim cap, and all other belongings (including your wetsuit - if applicable) into the bag - and leave it at your spot.
- Participants will then drive their cars to uptown Greenwood (20 minute drive) where the Event Finish is located. Once in uptown, participants will be directed to parking areas close to the finish line. Before you drop your run gear in the uptown transition area, grab your run number and pick up your timing chip at the timing chip pick up tent, located near the T.A. and right next to the bus staging area. You will need to show your run number in order to receive your timing chip. Once you have your timing chip, drop your run gear in the uptown transition area - adjacent to the finish line. Once again, find your numbered bike rack. At the uptown transition area - the bike racks will be individually numbered. Find your specific spot and lay out your run gear. As with the other transition area - make a note of where you are - to eliminate confusion when you come in off the bike.
- At this point you're ready to be transported to the Swim Start location. Buses will be provided to take you out to swim start. Friends and family should NOT board these buses as they are for athletes only. Friends and family are welcome to provide you with your own transportation out to the swim start area. DON'T FORGET YOUR TIMING CHIP & ANKLE BAND.
- When the event is over - your plastic bag from the swim finish transition area will be transported back to the event finish location. This bag will be back to the finish line location before the final competitor finishes the event. This will prevent you from having to go back out to the lake following the event.
Awards will be given to the Top 3 in each of the following divisions:
- Open (M & F)
- Masters Open (M & F)
- Age Groups (M & F): 15 & Under, 16-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80-84, 85 & Over
- Master Clydesdale
- ParaTriathlete (M & F)
- Novice (M & F)
- Aquabike (M & F)
- Co-Ed Relay (Top 3)
- Male Relay (Top 3)
- Female Relay (Top 3)
Click HERE to learn more about each of the divisions listed above.