AAA Car Care North Carolina Triathlon Series
2016 AAA NCTS swag/series awards are packed up and ready to go!
If you selected:
MAIL: will be mailed out on Wednesday 12/7
PICK UP IN RALEIGH: available starting on Friday 12/9 at Inside Out Sports (2002 Grisdale Ln)
PICK UP IN CHARLOTTE: available starting on Friday 12/9 at Run for Your Life (901 S Kings Dr #100)
PICK UP IN WILMINGTON: They will be available starting on Friday at Two Wheeler Dealer 12/9 (4408 Wrightsville Ave)
2017 AAA NCTS Event Schedule
The 2017 AAA NCTS triathlon schedule will be officially released on Tuesday, November 1st.
Please note that the individual event pages on the drop-down menu above still reflect 2016 dates and information.
On 11/1, those event pages will contain 2017 dates and information.
2017 AAA NCTS Series changes
- We have added three 2016 State Park races into the series; Lake Norman, Lake James, and Sandling Beach.
- We have eliminated three races in 2017; Cane Creek, UNC Wellness, and Arlington Place.
- We have added the Aquabike category for both males and females.
- We have merged the Open and Masters Open categories to create a single Open category for both males and females.
- We have merged the Novice and Masters Novice categories to create a single Novice category for both males and females.
- We have revised the point weighting for events to better reflect the efforts in the distances and the weight additional competition can provide.
- For over half the races in the series we will be giving out "Logo-Free" race shirts. We experimented with this with our State Park races in 2016 and the participant feedback was outstanding. Race design on the front and nothing on the back. Check each individual event page to see if that event will be giving out "Logo-Free" shirts.
- We will also be implementing time trial starts for a number of our open water races. With this format, participants begin the swim one at a time, starting every 2-3 seconds. Once again, we experimented with this procedure with our State Park races in 2016 and participants loved it. As with "Logo-Free" shirts, check the individual event pages to see if this applies.
Congratulations to everyone who participated in one of our North Carolina Triathlon Series races in 2016.
Series Swag and Awards: Awards will be available for pickup in Wilmington, Two Wheeler Dealer, Raleigh, Inside Out Sport and Charlotte, Run For Your Life in the coming weeks. We have already notified the 2016 NCTS award winners via email and we will be sending out a subsequent email with instruction on how to pick up your swag and awards.
For those outside a reasonable distance from these locations, we will be mailing your package.
The AAA North Carolina Triathlon series is the premier series in North Carolina.
We have merged the 2016 Centenial Endurance Challenge events into the 2017 AAA NCTS series giving it a large diversity of distances that is sure to suit all types of triathletes and with 24 events, it is the nations largest and oldest statewide triathlon series.
From Asheville in the heart of the spectacular Blue Ridge Mountains to the beautiful beaches of southeastern North Carolina we boast
- 3 Halfs
- 2 50's
- 5 Internationals
- 2 Sprinter's (Sprint/International hybrid)
- 12 Sprints
- Over 10,000 participants in 2016.
Started in 1999, the NCTS is comprised of such iconic long-standing races like the Azalea Triathlon in Wilmington, The White Lake Half, the Wilmington YMCA Sprint, The Triangle Triathlon in Raleigh, and the Tri Latta Triathlon in Charlotte, and has continued to add competitive, quality races though its existence.
Experience a North Carolina Triathlon Series event in 2017.
|Like the AAA North Carolina Triathlon Series to receive information on events, promotions and updates.|
USA Triathlon Santioning
- All AAA North Carolina Triathlon Series events are USA Triathlon sanctioned.
- Click HERE to learn about series qualification rules.
USAT Age Up Rule
- Click HERE to learn about the USAT age up rule.
USAT Wetsuit Rules
- Click HERE to learn about the AAA North Carolina Triathlon Series Wetsuit usage policy.
Series Weights, Categories and Divisions
In 2017 the event weight classification will undergo a number of changes to increase participation and the competiveness of the events in the AAA NCTS series.
Event Weight Classification Table
|Event Distance||Distance Factor||
Depth of Field Factor
(400+ registrations in 2016)
Based on the above formula the event weights for the 2017 North Carolina Triathlon Series events will be as follows:
|Granite Falls Sprint||0.90|
|White Lake Spring Half||0.99|
|White Lake Spring International||0.95|
|White Lake Spring Sprint||0.90|
|Lake Norman State Park Triathlon Sprinter||0.92|
|Kerr Lake International||0.95|
|Tri Latta Sprint||0.91|
|Enka @ Biltmore Lake Sprint||0.90|
|Carolina Beach Double Sprint||0.90|
|Buckner Mission Man Sprint||0.90|
|Lake Logan Half||1.00|
|Lake Logan International||0.95|
|Lake Logan Sprint||0.90|
|Lake Lure Sprint||0.90|
|White Lake Fall Half||0.99|
|White Lake Fall International||0.95|
|White Lake Fall Sprint||0.90|
|Wilmington YMCA Sprint||0.91|
|Sandling Beach Sprint||0.97|
|Lake James 50 **||0.97|
|Lake James Sprinter **||0.92|
** These races are tentative pending race site approval.
Individual Race Categories:
Click HERE for a description of all the race categories that are available for individuals in North Carolina Triathlon Series events.
Series Scoring and Current Standings
- 2016 Standings
- 2015 Standings
- 2014 Standings
- 2013 Standings
- 2012 Standings
- 2011 Standings
- 2010 Standings
- 2009 Standings
- 2008 Standings
- 2007 Standings
- 2006 Standings
- 2005 Standings
- 2004 Standings
- 2003 Standings
- 2002 Standings
Only the 5 HIGHEST scores are counted. We added a column in the standings that is called Count. That number is the number of scored events that person has competed in. You must compete in at least 5 events to qualify for series awards. Also, remember events competed in as Novice or Relay are NOT scored or counted towards series scoring or prizes. For complete details on series scoring click the link above.
Custom awards TBD will be presented to the TOP 5 individuals in the following event divisions at the end of the year based on the final series standings.
As stated earlier, individuals must compete in a minimum of 5 scored events to be eligible for awards (novices & relays are not scored).
Open (M & W)
Age Groups (M & W)
15 & Under, 16-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70+
Clydesdales (Men, 220 Lbs & Over)
Masters Clydesdales (Men, 220 Lbs & Over, 40 years of age & older)
Athenas (Women, 165 Lbs. & Over)
Aquabike (M & W)
2017 Series Qualifier Package
We are working hard to source and determine the 2017 Series Qualifying package back for athletes who register for 5 AAA Car Care NCTS races.
Last year the qualifier package made it well worth registering for 5 races. We look forward to offering you another great incentive package in 2017.
Past Event Results
About the AAA NCTS
The AAA Car Care North Carolina Triathlon Series is the largest and longest running triathlon series in the U.S.
Totaling 24 events, the AAA Car Care North Carolina Triathlon Series is comprised of early season pool swim sprint distance events, traditional sprint distance events, international distance events, and three half iron distance events.
AAA Car Care North Carolina Triathlon Series events are staged from the heart of the of the spectacular Blue Ridge Mountains, to the beautiful beaches of southeastern North Carolina, from the metropolises of Charlotte and Raleigh to wide-open out of the way places like White Lake.
Over 8,000 different people race in the AAA Car Care North Carolina Triathlon Series with the 25 events attracting over 10,000 registrations.
2017 will be an exciting year, and these changes are designed to keep the AAA Car Care North Carolina Triathlon Series vibrant and progressive.
Experience an AAA Car Care North Carolina Triathlon Series event in 2017.