AAA Car Care South Carolina Triathlon Series
10/18/2016 - The 2016 final standings have been posted below. Thanks for a great season!! To obtain your series rewards or awards, please visit the SCTS Awards page HERE for all information.
The 2017 AAA Car Care South Carolina Triathlon Series (AAA-SCTS) is a collection the region's best triathlons spanning the beautiful state of South Carolina. Racing From the Mountains to the Sea, the AAA-SCTS offers a variety of course types, distances and difficulties perfect for every level of triathlete. First timers, middle of the packers and elite athletes alike will find pleasure from racing the AAA-SCTS circuit. Professional service that comes with a smile is our way of doing things here in South Carolina.
Full details of the 2017 AAA Car Care South Carolina Triathlon Series may be found by navigating your way through this page. Here you will find series rules, current standings, award categories, and more. We look forward to having you compete in our wonderful state.
USA Triathlon Sanctioning
- All SCTS events are USA Triathlon sanctioned.
- USAT's Most Commonly Violated Rules: If you are new to the sport or are wondering why you got a penalty at your last event, click HERE to read USAT's most commonly violated rules.
- Click HERE to read all of USAT's Competitive Rules
Open (Elite) Rules
- Click HERE to learn about the SCTS Open rules.
- Click HERE to learn about series qualification rules.
- The minimum age allowed for participating in the SCTS is 10 years of age for most events. Exceptions will be made based on parent/guardian request.
USAT Age Up Rule
- Click HERE to learn about the USAT age up rule.
USAT Wetsuit Rules
- Click HERE to learn about the SCTS Wetsuit usage policy.
- Click HERE to check your USAT membership or print your card. All SCTS events will require you to present your current USAT membership card or either pay the one-day USAT permit fee ($15).
Series Weights, Categories and Divisions
Event weights for 2017 will be roughly based on criteria established by USA Triathlon for the purpose of administering their national rankings system. For the SCTS events will be weighted based on distance and size of event. The event weight index will be used to calculate scores for all participants (See Scoring below).
|Event Distance||Distance Factor||
Depth of Field Factor
(300+ finishers in 2016)
Depth of Field Factor
(400+ finishers in 2016)
|Championship/ Qualifier Status||+ 0.05||+ 0.05||+0.05|
|Special SCTS Bonus Event||+0.10||+0.10||+0.10|
Again in 2017 one SCTS event will be designated as a Special SCTS Bonus Event earning that event an extra 0.05 base points. The 2017 SCTS Bonus Event is the Clemson Sprint.
Based on the above formula the event weights for the 2017 SCTS events will be as follows:
|XTERRA Myrtle Beach||0.90|
|Lake Murray Sprint||0.90|
|Mountains to Main Street||0.96|
|Middle Tyger YMCA||0.90|
|Tri the Midlands||0.92|
|Tri the Swamp Rabbit||0.92|
|TOUGHMAN South Carolina|
|The Dam Triathlon Sprinternational|
Series Scoring and Current Standings
SCTS Course Records
Event Scoring Details
- The top five men's finish times will be used to create an average time that all men's finish times will be divided into. The top five women's finish times will be used to create an average time that all women's finish times are divided into.
- All male participants' finish times will be divided into this average male "base" time to create raw scores. (same for females)
How the Series is Scored:
Click HERE for details on how the South Carolina Triathlon Series is scored.
NOTE: Only the TOP 5 scores from each athlete are used the calculate the final series score. This practice is geared to reward performance and not simply number of events raced.
NOTE ON SCORING: The series is still scored the same as it always has been, but we have decided to make the scores "cleaner". All scores are multiplied by 10000 when calculated to make the score an integer rather than a decimal. Now you can really watch your score grow with each race! We have also broken the brackets down so all participants are not grouped together in the same file. This allows participants to find their information quicker and easier.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW RESULTS FROM EVENTS NO LONGER PART OF THE SCTS
|1st Place Open||$1000||$1000|
|2nd Place Open||$600||$600|
|3rd Place Open||$350||$350|
|4th Place Open||$250||$250|
|5th Place Open||$150||$150|
|1st Place Masters Open||$300||$300|
|2nd Place Masters Open||$150||$150|
|3rd Place Masters Open||$100||$100|
Click Here to see definitions for each of the event categories offered by Set Up Events
- Top 5 Open (M & F)
- Top 3 Masters Open (M & F)
- Top 3 Age Group (M & F) 15 & under, 16-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80-84, 85+
- Top 3 Aquabike (M &F)
- Top 3 Clydesdale
- Top 3 Master Clydesdale
- Top 3 Athena
Any athlete who participates in a minimum of five (5) 2017 SCTS events will qualify for SCTS qualifier rewards. The tiered qualifier system will work as follows:
- Any athlete who participates in a minimum of 5 SCTS events will receive a custom pair of SCTS socks and a SCTS t-shirt. This is also the minimum number of events needed to qualify for series awards.
- Any athlete who participates in a minimum of 9 SCTS events will receive a custom pair of SCTS socks, a SCTS t-shirt and a SCTS jacket/vest/pullover or similar garment.
- Any athlete who participates in a minimum of 12 SCTS events will receive a custom pair of SCTS socks, a SCTS t-shirt, a SCTS jacket/vest/pullover and free entry into any five (5) 2018 SCTS events.
NOTE: Athletes must at least complete the swim portion of each event in order to have that event count toward the minimum number of events needed to qualify for these rewards.
NOTE: As stated above in the Qualification Rules, events raced as a Novice will not count toward the number of events for the Qualifier Rewards.
NOTE: All qualifier rewards and series awards MUST BE collected at the 2017 SCTS Awards Banquet. Awards and rewards not collected at the banquet may be shipped directly to your home address; however there will be a charge of $15 to ship these items. Click HERE to pay for shipment of your SCTS rewards/awards. Athletes living in certain areas (tentatively Columbia and Greenville) will have their rewards shipped to a central location for pick up and will not have to pay for shipping.
2017 SCTS Awards Banquet
2017 AAA-SCTS Athlete Celebration Banquet
Where: To Be Determined
When: To Be Determined
Who: Anyone who has raced in at least one SCTS event in 2017 (Friends and family are also invited to attend)
How: Register for the SCTS Awards Banquet by clicking the link below:
2017 SCTS Athlete Celebration Banquet Reservations (posted later in the year)
Regional Championship Series
In 2017 the AAA South Carolina Triathlon Series will showcase a "series within a series", awarding championship designations to regional champions across three geographic boundaries. Champions in each age group and category will be designated in the Upstate, Midlands and Coastal regions with no extra registration or sign up required. Simply race your races and we will determine the Regional Champions based on points gained through the normal AAA SCTS qualification point system. Regional Champions will be recognized and awarded at the 2017 AAA SCTS Awards Celebration. Full details are found below.
- Clemson Triathlon
- Mountains to Main Street Half
- Middle Tyger YMCA Triathlon
- Tri the Swamp Rabbit
- Greenville Triathlon
- TOUGHMAN South Carolina
- Lake Murray Triathlon
- Tri the Midlands
- The Dam Tri
- Parris Island Triathlon
- TryCharleston Triathlons
- TriFecta Sprint Triathlon
- Championship status will be awarded to the Top 1 in each AAA SCTS age group and category.
- Champions do not need to reside within the specific geographic region to be crowned Region Champion. Rather the qualification is based on the geographic region of each event.
- To qualify a participant must race in a minimum of 3 events within that specific region.
- The top 3 scores will be used to establish a final score even if the participant races more than 3 events within a specific region.
- An athlete may be crowned champion of more than one region.
- All champions will receive a custom Region Champion t-shirt to recognize their accomplishment.
- An athlete MAY qualify to be a Regional Champion even if he/ she does not qualify for overall AAA SCTS awards.
The AAA South Carolina Triathlon Series has invested in the PointsMap technology in an effort to bring cutting edge mapping tools to our athletes. PointsMap will give you the power to view important points at every SCTS event and to do things such as find directions to these locations, view pin-point detail of various points along the courses and see the entire event site at any level of detail you wish. The SCTS PointsMap is live for several upcoming events and is being updated for all AAA SCTS races.